Best Song Ever Bracket!! (Walrus of Walri). All Welcome.

16 rounds for a 32-song bracket.

1 Like

Poor Chuck.

The disrespect for “Stakes Is High” itt is unforgivable. De La’s best cannot be a one and done.

2 Likes

It’s great, but outmatched. Some real titans in this round.

1 Like

What’s going on with @microbet not voting for his own song?!

It’s @-Sabo’s fault.

1 Like

Gosh darn it I might have to switch to Sam Cooke. Guy knows what’s what.

1 Like

Ah…just can’t do it. Those Charles Bradley and Kiwanuka tracks are straight fire. @anon29622970 certified bangers, I should think.

2 Likes

This is what happens when you put the far left in charge. MALARKEY!

Is it bad form to change our votes in the previous category to get it sorted out?

Nope! IMO!

Kingmaking! I’m changing my vote from Trust in Me which is no longer in the running to Noir Desir, I suggest others do the same if interested and create further gridlock.

2 Likes

Thank you, you’re a hero. I’ll do the next bout of admin this evening.

(I closed the previously deadlocked poll already.)

OK, first up some happy, delighted winners to congratulate.

Group 4

Seafood
(Not sure why they look so terrified, I was polite)
seafood

Vive la Fete

Group 5

Michael Kiwanuka
kiwanuka

Charles Bradley
Charles_Bradley

2 Likes

But still no respite

Group 6

First up Bad Religion with Vanity.

@CanadaMatt3004 took the win handed down from @seities for a Category all about songs mentioning animals. The decision was explained:

This one got dropped into first place right from the start and never moved from there (though it was very close)

I think a key reason is that I have gone on quite a punk/hardcore bender in recent years and as a result have grown quite partial to songs that come in, leave an impact, then wrap it up without dragging on at any point. This is quite an interesting thing to say given my predilection for prog metal….

Graffin’s vocals are on point, the backing vocals add some extra depth throughout, and it’s just a great burst of energy that doesn’t linger a second too long.

And with that I shall try to follow their lead and not drag this reveal out any further.

Next classic rock’s classic rock of choice, Lynyrd Skynyrd asking Call Me The Breeze.

@NhlNut persuaded @LouisCyphre that this was the best song for a road trip.

I’d group this one with “Dead On Time” and “Sweet Emotion”. Solid rock songs that are dynamic and are particularly good at answering the question: How would you describe motion with only musical notes? Of those three, Lynyrd Skynyrd did it best.

Then The Middle East serenades us about Blood.

@6ix truimphed in a category about ‘emotions’ or ‘feelings’ invoked by ‘songs’, @anon29622970 was made all tingly by this track.

On my first listen, I’m sitting here thinking alright this is a really solid submission with some pretty deeply emotional content in the lyrics. Cool, but still feel like it needs something more. And then boom, the emotional rise late in the song was just enough to put it over the top, and ok you got me in all the feels. This song also won for being the one that I most wanted to go back to and immediately listen to again.

Continuing with St. Paul & The Broken Bones imploring Call Me.

@m_hood115 won a round about feelings of isolation, also adjudicated by @anon29622970.

When this song started, I thought I was listening to something out of motown, and really that’s what this is to me, with a modern spin. A really enjoyable listen that I wouldn’t have expected to like as much as I did. Definitely hits some of that isolation feel too.

And then it’s Pantera with Walk.

Abstention’s @microbet won when people were asked to submit Texan artists by @Rivaldo.

And now with all the possible points, microlimitov with Walk by Pantera

The last passage of this song is so sick, that it just dwarfs all pretenders in the cold eclipse of its shadow.

Finally Joan Baez sings about Diamonds and Rust.

@suzzer99 invoked the maximum feelings of LOSS in @ChrisV, I hope he has since recovered.

Normally I’m reluctant to put the best-known song from an artist on the podium, but this is such a beautiful, captivating song. The story goes that Baez was part way through composing this when Bob Dylan, about whom this song is written, called her. This is a killer category fit, where you join Baez journeying back in time, by turns wistful, then subtly lamenting her own naivety and offering some gentle but sharp digs at Dylan. There’s the bit where she recalls him telling her that her poetry was lousy in the course of proving him wrong, but I like this one the best:

Now you’re telling me
You’re not nostalgic
Then give me another word for it
You who are so good with words
And at keeping things vague

Winning song from the first listen.

Vote for 2 below…

Group 6
  • Bad Religion - Vanity
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd - Call Me The Breeze
  • The Middle East - Blood
  • St. Paul & The Broken Bones - Call Me
  • Pantera - Walk
  • Joan Baez - Diamonds and Rust

0 voters

Hmm.

Stumping for Vanity obv. If you have ever heard a better 1 minute song, then dont vote for it. Otherwise I think it deserves your vote

I was inexplicably on life tilt during most of meb’s Walrus, so I hadn’t heard some of these. Not sure who to vote for yet.

1 Like