***Best Simpsons Episodes of All Time Draft***

That was the pick I was looking for, easily the best episode if you understand anything about baseball. I still heckle Mike scioscia to this day at game" Hey Scioscia, your tragic illness made me smile!!!"

#1 episode of all time for me

edit: I got into an argument at work about 18 months ago over who the best British Prime Minister of all time was

3 Likes

“More heroic, eh”

writers proceed to make him rescue every item in a woman’s home

“The dryer goes on the left!”

“Yes, ma’am”

1 Like

PITT THE ELDER!

Darryl crying at being taunted is one of my wife’s all time favorite gags

1 Like

On some days it’s my favorite episode. Another one that’s just wall-to-wall jokes and never a missed opportunity. Some people think the turn to having Homer go on wackier adventures marked the downturn of the show, but in season 5, they still had it:

"Deep Space Homer"

There isn’t a moment missed in this episode:

• Burns’ opening speech-- “And remember, a shiny new donkey for whoever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.” whisper whisper “What? Oh, yes, and by that I mean it’s time for the worker of the week award”-- and Homer’s reaction to losing to the carbon rod (“Inanimate?! I’ll show him inanimate!”)
  • The space launch (“And we laugh legitimately. There’s a mathematician, a different kind of mathematician, and a statistician”) and Homer and Bart’s panic at nearly watching it. (“Oh my god, we’ve been beaten by A Connie Chung Christmas!”)
  • “Al, let’s have sex!” “Duh, no, Peg.” flush
  • “Maybe we should tell them about the monkeys who came back super-intelligent.”
  • Homer’s prank calls to try to find Tang
  • “Check with the FBI! I have a file! I have a file!”
  • The NASA scientist with the blackjack
  • The press conference (“I have a question for the barbecue chef.” “I’ll field this one” and Homer’s Planet of the Apes meltdown)
  • Barney sobering up and immediately becoming highly competent, and Homer trying to match him (“There once was a man from Nantucket, who-- OW!”)
  • Homer trying to see what Bart’s written on the back of his head, the family giggling and then getting deeply worried
  • “I don’t understand. That was non-alcoholic champagne.”
  • “De-fault! De-fault! De-fault!”
  • “Second comes right before first!”
  • “Listen, Buzz, if that is your real name…”
  • The Itchy & Scratchy short that completely terrifies Homer
  • Homer’s phone call to Marge, between the Mr. T story and “Homer, you already dialed,” might be my favorite scene in the series.
  • “Former president James Taylor?!”
  • “Listen Aldrin, I’m not as laid back as people think. I’m gonna play, and you’re gonna float there and like it.”
  • “Sweet dreams of flying machines, in pieces on the ground-- uh… sweet dreams of flying machines, flying safely through the air”
  • “Wait a minute, this unkempt youngster might be on to something!”
  • Homer saving the day with an inanimate carbon rod, bringing the story full circle.
  • “Maybe I do have the right… what’s that stuff? Anyway,”

I didn’t even get to everything funny about this episode; it’s just wall-to-wall great jokes and scenes. Maybe the most consistently funny episode they ever did.

In conclusion,

11 Likes

@jmakin is up

I’ll show HIM inanimate!

1 Like

You guys are surprisingly not decimating my board as much as I thought you would

You mean I shaved my bikini zone for nothing?!

1 Like

I love this because Groening eventually gets to make an actual Married with Children episode with the actual Peg Bundy about ten years later

1 Like

It helps that there are 3 or 4 rounds worth of 1st round value.

1 Like

LORD PALMERSTON

1 Like

This is such a great bit. It’s surprising how few people catch the reference when I drop it in casual conversation.

4 Likes

1 Like

Have to do it after work, in ~4 hours i’ll have a writeup. Or if work continues to piss me off and I call it an early day, idk yet.

is this draft going to be a snake? if so jmakin has two picks to make.

Oh no

1 Like

God I love Deep Space Homer. I would have picked it first if not for monorail. Also love the callback in Homer’s Enemy.

2 Likes

“Oh no, I’ve killed Wilson! I guess it’s back to jail for me! hoo hoo hoo hoo

Those are some really dark jokes about Tim Allen and James Taylor, once you know the backstory.

Deep Space Homer was on my short list

Homer at Bat great also

2 Likes