***Best Simpsons Episodes of All Time Draft***

OK why doesn’t Unstuck let me write lists in any numbered order besides standard numeric order?

Anyway, on my personal list, “Last Exit” is #1, “Monorail” is #4, and “Homer at the Bat” is #5. #2 is going to be coming in shortly…

That was the pick I was looking for, easily the best episode if you understand anything about baseball. I still heckle Mike scioscia to this day at game" Hey Scioscia, your tragic illness made me smile!!!"

#1 episode of all time for me

edit: I got into an argument at work about 18 months ago over who the best British Prime Minister of all time was

3 Likes

“More heroic, eh”

writers proceed to make him rescue every item in a woman’s home

“The dryer goes on the left!”

“Yes, ma’am”

1 Like

PITT THE ELDER!

Darryl crying at being taunted is one of my wife’s all time favorite gags

1 Like

On some days it’s my favorite episode. Another one that’s just wall-to-wall jokes and never a missed opportunity. Some people think the turn to having Homer go on wackier adventures marked the downturn of the show, but in season 5, they still had it:

"Deep Space Homer"

There isn’t a moment missed in this episode:

• Burns’ opening speech-- “And remember, a shiny new donkey for whoever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.” whisper whisper “What? Oh, yes, and by that I mean it’s time for the worker of the week award”-- and Homer’s reaction to losing to the carbon rod (“Inanimate?! I’ll show him inanimate!”)
  • The space launch (“And we laugh legitimately. There’s a mathematician, a different kind of mathematician, and a statistician”) and Homer and Bart’s panic at nearly watching it. (“Oh my god, we’ve been beaten by A Connie Chung Christmas!”)
  • “Al, let’s have sex!” “Duh, no, Peg.” flush
  • “Maybe we should tell them about the monkeys who came back super-intelligent.”
  • Homer’s prank calls to try to find Tang
  • “Check with the FBI! I have a file! I have a file!”
  • The NASA scientist with the blackjack
  • The press conference (“I have a question for the barbecue chef.” “I’ll field this one” and Homer’s Planet of the Apes meltdown)
  • Barney sobering up and immediately becoming highly competent, and Homer trying to match him (“There once was a man from Nantucket, who-- OW!”)
  • Homer trying to see what Bart’s written on the back of his head, the family giggling and then getting deeply worried
  • “I don’t understand. That was non-alcoholic champagne.”
  • “De-fault! De-fault! De-fault!”
  • “Second comes right before first!”
  • “Listen, Buzz, if that is your real name…”
  • The Itchy & Scratchy short that completely terrifies Homer
  • Homer’s phone call to Marge, between the Mr. T story and “Homer, you already dialed,” might be my favorite scene in the series.
  • “Former president James Taylor?!”
  • “Listen Aldrin, I’m not as laid back as people think. I’m gonna play, and you’re gonna float there and like it.”
  • “Sweet dreams of flying machines, in pieces on the ground-- uh… sweet dreams of flying machines, flying safely through the air”
  • “Wait a minute, this unkempt youngster might be on to something!”
  • Homer saving the day with an inanimate carbon rod, bringing the story full circle.
  • “Maybe I do have the right… what’s that stuff? Anyway,”

I didn’t even get to everything funny about this episode; it’s just wall-to-wall great jokes and scenes. Maybe the most consistently funny episode they ever did.

In conclusion,

11 Likes

@jmakin is up

I’ll show HIM inanimate!

1 Like

You guys are surprisingly not decimating my board as much as I thought you would

You mean I shaved my bikini zone for nothing?!

1 Like

I love this because Groening eventually gets to make an actual Married with Children episode with the actual Peg Bundy about ten years later

1 Like

It helps that there are 3 or 4 rounds worth of 1st round value.

1 Like

LORD PALMERSTON

1 Like

This is such a great bit. It’s surprising how few people catch the reference when I drop it in casual conversation.

4 Likes

1 Like

Have to do it after work, in ~4 hours i’ll have a writeup. Or if work continues to piss me off and I call it an early day, idk yet.

is this draft going to be a snake? if so jmakin has two picks to make.

Oh no

1 Like

God I love Deep Space Homer. I would have picked it first if not for monorail. Also love the callback in Homer’s Enemy.

2 Likes

“Oh no, I’ve killed Wilson! I guess it’s back to jail for me! hoo hoo hoo hoo

Those are some really dark jokes about Tim Allen and James Taylor, once you know the backstory.