Best decade of music

Yea sure. But it’s pretty fucking cool that the Talking Heads were on the radio.

1 Like

I mean a good lot of those artists released music in the 90s too. Basically just discarding their material from that era, not the artist as a whole.

I don’t mind 90s Michael and Madonna. Sure there wouldn’t be Thriller and Like A Prayer but I’m cool with Dangerous and I’m Breathless.

That said…

If it wasn’t for The Black Album, the 80s/90s choice would be much tougher because Metallica was mostly terrible after that album.

This is correct.

Do you guys actually sit down and listen to Michael Jackson and Madonna? They are significant but well-worn and pretty dull in 2020.

4 Likes

I would put them in the category of driving music.

Pretty much only TVU and some Stones stuff does it before Joy Division for me for this reason. The remasters help, but only so much.

Also massive shame on jwax for not mentioning The Replacements at all.

2 Likes

Animal Collective are a weird band to think about now. As someone who was in University when they blew up, they were so popular for a bit there. Not sure the last time I listened to a track of theirs though.

Gardenhead/Leave me Alone might be the best 3 minutes of any live concert I’ve ever been at.

Also for anyone who really likes the 00 indie scene, stereogum just put out a 44 song album for donations to survive with songs from the national, waxahatchee, Mac Demarco, pup, Benjamin gibbard, el-p and others

I’ll say the 80’s were better if you’re into pop. I was more into rock/metal/rap at the time and to me it seemed like the 90’s were overall vastly superior.

1 Like

I’ll give you this. The 80s can’t touch the 90s rapmetal

1 Like

I thought we were talking about music, why are you posting pictures of Korn?

Some numetal like Deftones/System of a Down has aged better than a lot of other stuff from that era.

Hey man, you said you were listening to rock/rap/metal. Assumptions were made.

1 Like

White Pony is a better album than Evil Empire.
Around the Fur is better than Renegades.

RATM debut is obviously a near perfect album that holds up so, so well especially lyrically.

Flood is easily top 10 of the decade. TMBG rule.

One of my favourite all time songs.

2 Likes

You do have to listen to EDM though! :wink:

3 Likes

Appetite for destruction is also 80s.

1 Like

Wait you can’t possibly be saying those are as good as appetite? :grin:

It’s their mainstream boy band album.

1 Like

Just want to note that I’m on board with most of your music views. I voted 90s but goat decade was like 83-93.

Unpopular opinion: Prince always sucked and Michael is pop pablum. My GOAT album is Remain in Light.

edit: In an Areoplane Over the Sea is the best album of the late 90s. Animal Collective is my favorite band of the mid to late 00s.

1 Like