Best decade of music

Hurting Phil Collins is a national sport here.

2 Likes

I’m gonna start a Phil Collins fanpage, to try and counteract that by surrounding him with a lot of positive support.

2 Likes

lol

Bless you.

Just don’t encourage him to record any more music

It’d be disingenuous of me to suggest I’m a Phil Collins fan, but I loved this one as a kid and I still think it’s a very good, if not that distinctive cover version.

Faces era Rod Stewart versus the his frankly ludicrous solo career as the singer

1 Like

That one fails for me on the usual cover basis of too similar to great original but not as good.

Perfect, and added to the band.

More bad news for teams not named 80s. MJ just pulled out his reportedly strangely thin cockmeat and bounced it off your forehead.

I remember watching this with my mom and she said “hes going to be bigger than elvis” And he was.

Phil Collins hates Phil Collins.

1 Like

I never really understood why Use Your Illusion was a double album. If you take the top 50% only it’s a great album. With all the junk it’s a WTF album.

Pure vanity of the band.

Peter Gabriel > Phil Collins.

If you’re a fan of late 70s-80s music, you should watch the Americans. Crushes the soundtrack game.

There are not enough forward arrows on earth to accurately represent this relationship.

2 Likes

I think it is around 200Hz-2kHz but I don’t know why you would ever limit yourself to one decade.

This Peter Gabriel song isn’t from the 80s but it rules

1 Like

Ok I’m gonna do this but probably won’t start it until next week sometime

1 Like

Mark him down for Team 90s:

Luckily he called it off because he “had no idea how crazy the numbers were”

I’m not complaining about the album, I’m critiquing it. I still have AFD + UYI1/2 in regular rotation. One of those is the best listen from start to finish to me even though it does carry on for 75 minutes. We know from digital music sales that people overwhelmingly don’t listen to or appreciate full albums, especially not as a whole compared to the sum of the parts nor as complete works of art, which is why I’m skeptical of most takes on albums.

You’re only focusing on the quality of individual songs, as if you’re adding up the point totals of those songs to arrive at a score for an album. I’m saying it’s more convoluted than that if we’re scoring the album on the whole. The defense of it being rather monotonous is that it’s hard rock? That wasn’t the charge levied at all so I guess you’re conceding that point? It’s possible to do hard rock in a wide range of tempos, song structures, arrangements, etc. The album is very one-dimensional and doesn’t capture their full range of sound or talent, especially the experimental stuff like The Garden that elevates them above simply being another guitar butt rock band.

I made the Zeppelin thread for those interested.

1 Like