Being a mod or admin is intolerable, and this community is at a high risk of dying

That doesn’t solve anything if the new mods get harassed into quitting.

Totally agree. I used to get pissed about this as a teenager but now it’s whatever.

Internet isn’t real life.

i’m chalking it up to covid boredom combined with trump being gone so there being no one to collectively rage at.

I know a lot of people here are dealing with some very real IRL issues as well. I wish people would take this angsty energy and direct it into more creative outlets, like contributing to some of the sundry chitchat topics, which are quite good and could probably exist as a standalone forum of its own. @RiskyFlush has done a very, very good job moderating this portion of the site and we have literally zero issues there.

5 Likes

But one side is saying he is not harrasing anyone. So you either take “my way or the highway” approach which you seem to be in favor of or you try different ways to bridge the two sides of an ongoing argument.

The fact that the mods in question are active (if not leading) sides of the argument makes trying partial mods a pretty common sense approach unless you are set on blowing it all up

Sorry, but I believe I’m aware of a lot more of the actual details of what happened here than you are.

2 Likes

OK, I’ll go on the record to say that it was appropriate for Sky to threaten to ban users for “perpetuating this shitty forum-ruining argument”.

1. Temp-bans should be in the mods’ toolbox for dealing with problems.
  2. These temp-bans, if short, shouldn’t require community approval via polls.
  3. Trolling and forum drama are problems that mods should be empowered to deal with.
  4. Gifted trolls are angle-shooters who can find ways around bright-line rules, so effectively dealing with them requires empowering mods to use their own judgment.
13 Likes

You’re only harassed into quitting if you feel the job is permanent

1 Like

@NotBruceZ would make an excellent mod

I don’t believe I’ve taken a shot at you since that dustup over that Goofy referenced, that I apologized for at the time, and for which I agreed to take a ban. If I have, please point it out to me.

Just wondering if we’ve reached the bottom. (probably not)

1 Like

She threatened to ban a user for using a word in a context that the community said was ok. So no, mods do not have in their toolbox the use of bans for things the community voted were acceptable.

What about when the mods contribute to the drama by using sarcasm and insults as liberally as the so called gifted trolls and angle shooters?

well, thanks in no small part to the discussion going on right fucking now, he’s no longer a mod, so I don’t see why his opinion should concern anyone.

Why not step away for a few days? The community won’t disappear

3 Likes

I did not ninja edit, no.

Couldn’t agree more.

Basically the people who said pure democracy doesn’t work are right. We have to instill power into people we trust to look out for the best interests of this forum. Until then, this drama will never stop.

4 Likes

I have no doubt that is true. I haven’t read a word of the c word thread and only skimmed AM.

Bullshit. It’s still getting harassed into quitting if you quit 2 months into a 6 month term. It’s still unacceptable if you serve out your 6 month term and then accept a merciful retirement!

1 Like

This. If anyone wants to release the rage, I would be happy to coach you through the best game of 2020 - Crosscode

1 Like

You’re harassed into quitting if Jal disagrees with a moderation decision. I don’t see any solution other than give Jal a timeout or give Jal whatever he wants. Looks like we’re choosing the latter.

Wait, we lost skydiver?

What the fuck are you all doing?

We should be looking to extend our female membership (a good case for not using the C word, regardless of whether it means a silly asshole in GB or not), not fucking chase them away

4 Likes