Being a mod or admin is intolerable, and this community is at a high risk of dying

I said such 2 months ago.

I wonder if bending over backwards to appease him the last two months has made this place better, or have we lost multiple good posters and have had half a dozen more threaten to quit over it, while having thousands of posts about the c word?

Why are we acting like we’re at the beginning of a problem? This site is at its Jan 6 moment. Its barely holding on, and actions should have been taken months ago.

More people need to learn to use the ignore function for other posters that trigger them imo. Constantly arguing with your nemesis or stalker is like getting into a fight with randos on twitter or the youtube comment section - absolutely useless.

8 Likes

I also wanted to add that we should always have 2 admin positions. I don’t think ggoreo is stepping down, but if he is, I would like that settled pretty quickly.

As for me there’s little chance I’m going anywhere in the next year or so. There’s enough little improvements and problems to solve and things to learn about with discourse software that could keep me busy for a while, and the day to day stuff is very easy so it’s not a huge time demand. Even if I just disappeared, which isn’t gonna happen, this place could probably stay up for as long as the disk space held out, which seems to me like it could be a year or more. So from a technical standpoint we are pretty good.

What I really don’t ever want to be in a position to do though is where there is some mod run amuck or some extreme scenario like that and I have to pull the trigger on demodding, especially if I’m the only person that has this ability. That’s why I think as a failsafe we should always have 2 admins.

I think ~5 mods is a good number too and we shouldn’t go much above or below that.

5 Likes

You and Aofrantic wouldn’t like it if every mod just perma’d every poster they thought were habitually abusive and caused problems.

3 Likes

The idea that existing mods who are doing a good job should be summarily replaced against their will to appease a tiny disgruntled faction of grievance-pedders is comical.

Mod abuse, mod trolling, bad faith arguments about moderation should be instantly banned. I’m 100% confident that current moderators are perfectly willing to engage with good-faith discussion and criticism about moderation and how to improve everybody’s experience. Relentlessly abusive complainers should GTFO, whether voluntarily or not.

Edit: Sorry this rage-post was inadvertently replying to meb whom I was agreeing with

12 Likes

Is this appropriate moderating considering that community voted to not moderate the word in the way it was used by jal? Might these posts have thrown a lot of gasoline on the flames?

3 Likes

How many people do you think this is?

Yes

This isn’t a job. They’re volunteering. This site is free.

Well plenty of us disagree with you. I mean, we shouldn’t have a poll if some of the mods can just dismiss it when they don’t like the results.

1 Like

I mean, she made a correct post with an angry tone. If she had just banned Jal 2 months prior like that would have happened on 99% of forums I’ve ever been on, it wouldn’t have come to that and we wouldn’t have lost good posters since.

A bunch. At least 10 I’d say.

I have an idea.

Posters may not publicly complain about their own bans or other mod action taken against them, or about the lack of action when they are an interested party. If you feel that an action or inaction was particularly egregious, you may try to convince a disinterested poster to talk to a disinterested mod, who can then talk to the mod in question. All of this communication occurs via PM, and if any of the disinterested parties cannot be convinced to go to bat for you, the issue dies.

7 Likes

No she didn’t. She threatened bans for posting something that the community voted should not be moderated. And then in the fallout lots of nasty posting happened, but shockingly only people on one side of the argument where temp banned and moderated in other ways.

1 Like

I really don’t think I would mind.

Eta: unless that’s your way of saying you would ban me? But I would survive.

The topic and discussions about it have become so toxic they invade other parts of the forum. I’m cool with your disagreement, but I 100% am for zero tolerance of this nonsense continuing.

Surprised you think its that many. I generally haven’t been a fan of how you’ve moderated this place, but you’re trying in good faith and nothing has been egregiously bad or dumb so I haven’t had a reason to complain.

Again, we are a small community. We want to grow, but a place like this is hard to attract new users. Its really bad to lose several high volume users. Now, if the majority of volume is about petty feuds and swearing, this hits both problems.

I just dont get why people don’t have a big problem on this small site with driving posters we like away, to appease those whose conduct we have been in debating for months.

3 Likes

I found the c-word discussion highly offensive to non-Americans. The fact that a solution to keep the word only in uk-centric threads was dismissed and further action required feels very wrong to me.
And to be honest, i consider Wookie’s post itt that everyone who voted no are condescending to woman a personal insult.

I can still like him a lot as a user and appreciate his willingness to mod for this long. I think that if such a good poster made such a bad post followed by a thread where he described his mental struggles with the position, how are we even discussing not rotating the position to other volunteers

8 Likes

We need a separate judicial branch

6 Likes

if we put more effort into growing, losing posters wouldn’t be as catastrophic, as there would be new ones to come in and replace them

1 Like