Bailout / Stimulus Discussion (Hints Missed & Shartz Fired)

If the unemployment passes it’s going to save a lot of lives. People will not have to choose between risking their health or paying their bills once Trump “reopens the economy”.

1 Like

Right. If this is Schumer’s addition it might be the best thing he has ever done.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1242894936753700879

2 Likes

You only get x% if your previous wages. x may depend on the state. Now you are getting an additional $600/week. So, if (100-x)% of your usual weekly income is less than $600, then you would make more than what you were earning before. Let’s say x=50. So, if you made less than $1200 per week, then getting 50% of your wages plus $600. Assuming 50 weeks per year of work, you get more money per week than you would have gotten at your job if you made less than $60k.

It’s possible that they capped it at 100% of salary, but every news story has reported it was $600 on top. Since no one has pushed back at Lindsey Graham on this, I am going to assume that this is true until told otherwise.

I think Dems, at least some of them, understood that it was going to take too long to push out a flat cash amount to everyone, so this was one of the ideas for getting some money more quickly into the hands of at least some of the people who need it.

There’s no quick and easy way to give people a short-term basic income. We’re not set up for that logistically. The government hasn’t gathered the right kind of data and built databases. If we had something like a national voter roll where everyone was registered to vote, the government would know where every citizen lived, in theory.

2 Likes

Yeah if thats the case I see a lot of pissed off people in the future and I don’t know if I blame them. Some laid off uber driver getting $800 a week while someone working at the grocery store risking their health for $400 a week to make sure we don’t all starve seems wild.

Will also infuriate a ton of the people who continue working. Like you think regular welfare upsets people? lol

:shushing_face:

8 Likes

Yeah but at the end of four months the pissed off all still have jobs. The others… maybe, maybe not.

It will be a brilliant way for the GOP to be like LOOK! Those poor people are stealing your tax money!!! Then when everyone looks left, the billionaires back up the Brinks truck for their bailouts.

3 Likes

Right… You try calming down a domestic in a vehicle travelling at 70 mph or taking random abuse because…

1 Like

haha :rofl: you know I love you and I hope you get PAID brother.

I just want the people making sure I can eat get paid too :hugs:

2 Likes

I know I know… Caught you a peach though… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

CNN has a rundown of what their people are finding while reading now. One interesting note is that the DoD is getting funding for the National Guard’s coronavirus response with a prohibition against transferring money to an account that Trump has been robbing to pay for his wall.

What about outlaws?

So how much do professional poker players and sports bettors who filed an operating loss on their last tax return get in UI?

3 Likes

6 Likes

GOP senators strike deal to allow stimulus to pass Wednesday night

A group of Republican senators have struck a deal with leaders to allow the $2 trillion economic relief package to pass the Senate Wednesday evening.

Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Tim Scott (R-S.C.), Rick Scott (R-Fla.) and Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) have agreed to drop procedural objections and let the bill move on a fast track in exchange for a vote on an amendment to the package to cap beefed-up unemployment benefits to 100 percent of workers’ salaries.

Their amendment will need 60 votes to pass and it’s expected to fail, setting the stage for final passage of the mammoth coronavirus stimulus package later Wednesday evening.

get ****ed Lindsey

3 Likes

Well in Rick Scotts defense, no one understands scamming the government as well as he does so he’s just trying to be a good steward of whatever is left after his robberies.

Seeing twitter chatter that the bill has lots of free money for hotels (specific exemption to get that sweet small business cheddar regardless of actual size). I for one am shocked.

13 Likes

Boohoo poor little US government. Maybe one of these times they will prepare for this in advance. This is the third time in like 15 years.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MollyMcKew/status/1242998491309277189