Bailout / Stimulus Discussion (Hints Missed & Shartz Fired)

We still had a top marginal tax rate of 70% when Reagan took office and income gains were somewhat fairly distributed. So it seems like there was still some hope at that point. However, by the time Reagan left office, the top rate was slashed to 28%.

Latest deplorable updates:

Marsha says she voted no because of bailouts for non-profit orgs (amazing telling on herself here)

All the deplorables in the comments are mad about the pork and want that in a different bill (it’s all in the omnibus and not the covid bill)

10 days. But since Congress has to end it’s session before then if he doesn’t sign it it’s dead.

https://twitter.com/BloombergTV/status/1342173060955332609

Never change inflation hawks

2 Likes

Sure wish someone would overheat MY economy

7 Likes

2 Likes

he’s referring to inflation I assume.

inflation is at historic lows so :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Who’s the last guy on the right?

Inflation is at historic lows right now? What was it in april 20?

The guy who threw the Winkelvi out of his office. The only redeemable thing he’s ever done.

i think he’s referring to potentially causing too much growth via stimulus to the point of contraction when the stimulus runs out. that still doesn’t make sense obv, $2k isn’t even a big enough magic number that would “overheat” the economy if it came via UBI.

krugman refers to summers in good terms so i expected something other than bad gop talking points, but i guess not. probably old age and/or cato institute got to him.

The realization that so many of these heavily credentialed so-called experts are in fact complete fucking morons is both enraging and liberating. But once you see it, you can’t ever unsee it.

5 Likes

0.3% according to statistica

1 Like

So we can give Wall Street $1.5T in March after a bad week following an 11 year bull market but giving $2K to ordinary folks is a bridge too far?

4 Likes

Wouldn’t want to overheat the economy.

1 Like

Takes me back to 2008

FYP

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/EricBoehlert/status/1342546103611367426?s=20

4 Likes

TBF I don’t think the House Dems are particularly “desperate” to get it done anyway.

I’m out of the loop, was the unanimous consent thing necessary for getting the other $1400 tacked onto the existing bill as opposed to going through the painful process of drafting a whole new one?

2 Likes

I think the unanimous consent thing was simply a way to call out republicans. That part was absolutely political theater.

2 Likes