Arguing about voting, purity, and RIP John Lewis

https://twitter.com/SeanCunningham/status/1284360529494958082

No, the last sentence isnā€™t right from everything Iā€™ve read about Bernieā€™s plans.

Youā€™re living in a very right wing country whose centrist party is therefore also right wing. Bernie is on the left relative to American politics but probably wouldnā€™t be accepted by most of the Labour Party because here heā€™s a centrist.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not saying he has a mental health condition, I would never phrase something like that in that way. Iā€™m saying he is crazy in terms of his political views.

Oh are you the ombudsman of my business ideas? I was selling shit laying around on eBay to build up money to flip stuff from garage sales and retail arbitrage to build up money to start a product line on Amazon. I was several steps away from having any challenges regarding ethical sourcing for products, as a result I had no specific plans to address it. If/when I can safely resume those efforts, then if/when I get to that point, itā€™ll be something I research.

Me mentioning having my girlfriend (at the time) staying with me was sexist/misogynistic? Gimme a break.

Or you think I made the whole thing up? Okay, then.

Yeah I care so much about bro points that I call out bro sexism and start long arguments about it in a group of bros thatā€™s had issues with it for awhile.

Then for extra bro points I often talk about how difficult dating has been for me, how frustrated I am to be single during the pandemic, etc.

But how many bro points do you think I got for mentioning that I had a girlfriend for a month or so earlier this year?

While weā€™re on the topic, why should one get ā€œbro pointsā€ for having a girlfriend? Are single guys less worthy of being your bros? Are women just trophies you accumulate to score bro points?

Sounds like Iā€™d rather have zero bro points, because they sound like a really stupid way of keeping score.

But thatā€™s just me, bro.

What topics would Bernie and the Labour Party disagree on?

Can we turn UP off and then back on again? How about a 3 day temp ban of all users.

4 Likes

Nationalisation of some industries, for example.

2 Likes

How high is a box?
How wide must it be?
What depth should it allow?

As high as an eye,
As wide as a thigh,
As deep as the cut of a plow.

Labour only says that because they know that itā€™s never going to happen. All it does is win over people on the left for elections. This isnā€™t the 1970s. Nationalization is a thing of the past.

Nationalization has been a non-starter in America since Truman tried to nationalize the steel industry and failed. It cost the economy billions and led to millions losing their jobs.

Thatā€™s the wrong way round.

Nationalisation, or more accurately how it was explained, was one of the causes of their election defeat because people thought it would be too expensive after the tabloid press had headlines every day about how it was fiscally irresponsible and would wreck the economy.

Well, every other day, alternating with the anti-semitism nonsense.

The American experience re attempted nationalisation isnā€™t relevant here.

2 Likes

You make it sound like Truman tried to stop imports of steel or something, but wikipedia suggests he did it to crush a strike and the SCOTUS ruled it unconstitutional within 2 months.

1 Like

That he did. Still didnā€™t work out for him.

Definitely wouldnā€™t work out for anybody in America today. Every private corporation in the industry being nationalized and a good lot of state AGā€™s would immediately file lawsuits. Itā€™d be a nightmare. How many people even know what nationalizing is?

Iā€™m not suggesting it would work out, legally or otherwise, but the Truman example is not really relevant there as far as who is more left wing. That it would likely be stopped by the courts may well make it a non-starter though. Andā€¦how did nationalization cost the economy billions and lead to millions losing their jobs when it was a strike that stopped steel production and the courts prevented nationalization of the industry?

You made it sound like super-left-wing Truman nationalized the steel industry because he was such a lefty, that resulted in economic turmoil, and because of that nationalization could never be considered by any reasonable person.

Perhaps nationalization shouldnā€™t be considered (or perhaps it should), but aside from legal issues the Truman case there doesnā€™t seem to be relevant.

Just going by Wikipedia and the 1952 steel strike.

Perhaps not the most reliable resource

Ok, how is it wrong? Youā€™re the one who brought this up as evidence of something. Are you saying Truman tried to thwart the steel industry owners?

Donā€™t get me wrong. If you remembered the Truman nationalization as something like the nationalizations that jalfrezi is talking about it seems like thatā€™s wrong but, props to remembering it at all. I didnā€™t know anything about it until looking up the wiki after your post.

I brought it up as a reason that even the most left-wing future presidents in America wonā€™t nationalize anything

1 Like

Do you think Bernie would want to nationalise any sectors of industry in the hypothetical of him being a British politician?

Iā€™ve never had that vibe from him.

It should be the first reply and Iā€™m glad it was.