Arguing about voting, purity, and RIP John Lewis

Amazing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZaraRahim/status/1284362072860561415

8 Likes

Sad that John Lewis died because he did some great things before he got into politics.

A bit weird to praise him for his political career in which he toed the corporate Democrat line and prevented a lot of progress.

5 Likes

Good job, champ.

1 Like

Have I missed Trump’s tribute tweet to John Lewis? Or is he still working on it?

He’s focused on finding a way to compliment the cops that arrested Lewis in the good old days. There were very fine people on both sides of the Civil Rights conflict, OK? BOTH SIDES BOTH SIDES WHATABOUT WHATABOUT WHATABOUT …

John Lewis is an actual American hero. The Civil Rights movement was one of the greatest accomplishments by Americans in our entire history if you think about it. Taking to the streets for years, risking everything, in order to demand equality. They forced change. Truly incredible and he was front and center for a lot of it.

15 Likes

Noooooo you never mosh front first!!! Puts your jumblies right in other people’s hands.

2 Likes

?
Is this something you could say about any long time member of the house or do you have specific evidence about Lewis?

BUT MUH STATES RITES!

I don’t know exactly what Peak Self Defeating 2020 Liberal is, but declaring that John Lewis fails your purity tests has got to be pretty close.

4 Likes

I think he should be celebrated obviously for what he did before he took office in 1986, and that’s enough for him to be remembered as a hero.

It just should also be clear that once he took office, he didn’t really practice a lot of what he stood for, and that’s sad.

His actions, like what he did in the primary in 1986 against Julian Bond, his repeated endorsements against progressive Congressional candidates like Jamaal Bowman, AOC, etc. are not reflective of the things he stood for before he took office.

5 Likes

I was counting down the posts till someone said something like that. It’s so stupid as to be close to farce.

Purity over all else.

It really highlights how terrible the Dem party is and what it really stands for.

2 Likes

Nothing to do with purity and everything to do with putting the establishment above all else.

Give me two sentences defending Lewis endorsing Eliot Engel over Bowman.

5 Likes

It has nothing to do with purity but here is one example in his 70 year career I don’t agree with so fuck him.

I literally gave three examples in my post and I’m certain I can dig up more.

Also, he’s been in Congress for 30 years.

And, as I said before, he should be celebrated for what he did before he took office. It just sucks that he didn’t follow through on that once he started to get that sweet corporate money.

Perhaps you are focussing on the wrong thing right now. Just maybe.

3 Likes

AOC liked him. Good enough for me.

5 Likes

Perhaps this is an internet message board on which we discuss things and what would be the point of making a post like:

RIP JOHN LEWIS GUYS IM SO SAD

If no one wants to have a discussion about his political career, that’s fine. Just don’t respond to my posts?

12 Likes