Arguing about voting, purity, and RIP John Lewis

No

It was more sophisticated than we had imagined: new documents show that the violent crackdown on Occupy last fall – so mystifying at the time – was not just coordinated at the level of the FBI, the Department of Homeland Security, and local police. The crackdown, which involved, as you may recall, violent arrests, group disruption, canister missiles to the skulls of protesters, people held in handcuffs so tight they were injured, people held in bondage till they were forced to wet or soil themselves –was coordinated with the big banks themselves.

shows a terrifying network of coordinated DHS, FBI, police, regional fusion center, and private-sector activity so completely merged into one another that the monstrous whole is, in fact, one entity: in some cases, bearing a single name, the Domestic Security Alliance Council

The documents, released after long delay in the week between Christmas and New Year, show a nationwide meta-plot unfolding in city after city in an Orwellian world: six American universities are sites where campus police funneled information about students involved with OWS to the FBI, with the administrations’ knowledge (p51); banks sat down with FBI officials to pool information about OWS protesters harvested by private security; plans to crush Occupy events, planned for a month down the road, were made by the FBI

2 Likes

Most of us have done it our whole lives. At least we got to feel hopeful and proud the night Obama won in 2008, even though we were sold a false bill of goods.

You guys really need to get over posters saying they’re not voting for Biden in places like CA, NY, etc. I don’t blame them. And until you live in this far right shit hole for a few decades, you don’t really have any idea what it’s like to constantly vote for the slightly less right of center choice in a binary election.

6 Likes

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz yawn

Occupy was insufficiently militant to be a vehicle for the change you desire.

@BestOf

3 Likes

I have no doubt the majority of people who have a problem with Biden are genuine. As has been stated many times he is not the first choice of a single person on this forum.

I think the issue is that centrists on this forum hurl all kinds of invective at folks who are choosing to abstain.

1 Like

I think part of the problem is you think there is a single person on this forum that can accurately be described as a centrist.

2 Likes

There are self described centrists here

Anyone who can be described as socially/culturally liberal but fiscally conservative towards the debt/deficit, with respect for markets and a concern about over-regulation, is someone who can accurately be described as a centrist.

Any Democrat who stresses “how do you pay for it” as reason to oppose an idea like Medicare for All is a centrist.

4 Likes

If Trump wins the election, it won’t have anything to do with a tiny niche community on the Internet and the subsequent impact we have on our friends and family. Stop beating this dead horse. Some of us don’t want to decide between the lesser of two rapists.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen these issues raised in this forum at all.

Is there a single poster here that would have voted for Eliot Engel over Jamaal Bowman?

If there was ever a time to wish for having already made an Eliot Engel gimick…

1 Like

I don’t care how far to the left you are. If you can’t see the large, meaningful differences between Biden and Trump, then posters here myself included won’t stop persisting in helping to show you them.

1 Like

I don’t know how many people here would have thought that Engel needed to be primaried a year ago. He’s probably not that different from someone like Adam Schiff.

I don’t think they’re further to the left than the pragmatic Biden voters here. It’s that they can’t and won’t hold their noses and feel grubby in order to stop the US fast forwarding into fascism that might be impossible to reverse out of without god knows what.

Is there a large, meaningful difference between the two for someone whose overwhelming number one issue is destroying the Democratic establishment? How does voting for Biden better accomplish that goal?

That seems like a bizarre issue to prioritize over everything else.