Are people who served in the military culpable for their actions?

Also, the title of this thread is bullshit. @goofyballer

2 Likes

Where do you draw the line at quitting working for a company that is doing something terrible? Amazon? Nestle? Coke? NYT? Harvard?

We’re all cool saying no one should work for Raytheon, but the line isn’t black and white

Doing nothing with your life would be a lot better than joining the military.

5 Likes

Of course not. We all make difficult choices and balance our needs and desires.

Or we could differentiate between the soldier and the policy maker like sane, rational people. And also acknowledge that viable nation states have always throughout recorded history and will always continue to require viable, strong militaries to survive. It’s okay to be realistic, really it is.

Or just keep living in this stupid fucking fantasy world we seem to be trying to construct here where any idea that wasn’t first conceived on Max Yasgur’s farm circa 1969 was spawned by Literally Hitler.

1 Like

Hmm…I think I’ll live with not knowing. I’m afraid clicking the buttons that might show it, also might do something I don’t want.

And, I think I’ve met or exceeded my limit of thread title changes at least for the present time.

White background? From a programmer?

(name redacted I guess) … well, that’s really fucked up. You’re not even taking part in the thread, but you’re just going to make an editorial comment in the title?

Lol is the the best you got?

how culpable are people who …

knowingly worked in the military industrial complex?

knowingly worked in ad tech, but all of the paying customers were fake news and clickbait sites that redirect to .ru?

Are those legit questions or is it just supposed to be that the answer is unquestionably that they aren’t at all responsible?

Yes. I changed the title. I thought I made it less cringy (removed war crimes and Nuremberg references). If you don’t like it, you can be the change you want to see in the world.

2 Likes

This thread is just inherently passive-aggressive bitchiness and there’s not much anyone can do to fix it.

4 Likes

This line if thought is so dumb. It’s not hyperbolic to say you literally can’t name a job that hasn’t been associated with some terrible outcomes at some point.

1 Like

It had a bad start. I’m generally interested in what seems to be a pretty big divide around here about whether people are basically ever responsible for the more or less mundane choices they make or whether it’s all the fault of leadership or society for not forbidding bad choices or compelling good ones.

2 Likes

Title seems confusing now to me, maybe a bit broad. It sort of implies an ‘obeying orders’ argument which I’m not sure can be applied universally to the viewpoints in the thread.

Yeah, but this line of thought is so dumb imo. Almost everyone has choices. They can take a bus or buy an economy car or buy a giant SUV to commute. They can be a vegan or a vegetarian or not eat beef or eat endangered rhino horn powder. Yeah, riding a bus or being a vegan causes harm, but not as much.

1 Like

no i’m pretty genuine in asking

Fixed. I suppose it would be better if it was on purpose.

I can’t see the edit history not that it’s very important

Ok. Well, I don’t think the people at the bottom have the same degree of responsibility of the people at the top, but I do think we are all responsible for our choices of where we work and what we consume - - - for sure at least to the degree that we’re responsible for who we vote for. But, everyone is going to draw their lines and weigh competing interests differently.

1 Like