Are people who served in the military culpable for their actions?

EDIT: Post written in response to a skydiver AMA and wasn’t the instigation of an attack that it now appears to be after her post was split from this thread by a mod.

How did you feel when it SHOCKINGLY transpired that there were no WMD in Iraq?

Do you have any regrets about being part of an armed forces that killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqi men, women and children?

Editing. Lets just say i was a little harsh.

7 Likes

Yeah. Murdering millions of civilians and fetishising the hardware= ok, holding people to account for it = bad.

Editing. And here too

4 Likes

You don’t know anything about my life so hush down now.

Berating Skydiver for the Iraq war is like berating the min-wage call center employee at Comcast.

Or the drive-thru worker at Chick-Fil-a:

you are taking your frustrations out on the wrong person

13 Likes

Fuck, I was about to do that because they put a data cap on my account. Just got a warning that I’m 90% there with a week left in the month. Yes, giving us data caps when school, work, and entertainment are all from home is awesome.

(and no, I wasn’t going to yell at the Comcast customer service rep, just going to see if there’s anything we can do about this change)

Noted hemorrhoid jalfrezi probably doesn’t even remember UK’s up-to-their-yellow-cake-eyes involvement in Iraq and likely has a poster of Tony Blair on the back of his door where we had the one of Farrah Fawcett back in the day

3 Likes

Same organisation though. Its not as if Iraq was an outlier.

Say what you will about Jal but I’ll just say that there were anti-war protests in London that got something like a million attendees and the labour government had MPs resigning in protest over Blair’s decision.

3 Likes

You’re a fool projecting his own patriotism.

Part of my objection to the US regimes over the years has been their desire to involve other countries in their murderous acts. Wilson pretended he was busy when LBJ/Nixon phoned him, knowing he’d be asked to take part in the Vietnam war lol. Blair was culpable and every bit as much a war criminal as the Bush admin.

So, wrong on all counts.

If you sign up for the US military you do so comfortable with being complicit in those types of terrible things.

1 Like

The Iraq war was responsible for the rise in the SNP in scotland or should I stay Tonys demise.

If your in scotland and anyone says there a labour supporter still to this day, just walk away slowly, stay calm & don’t make sudden movements.

This is so clearly not true, wtf

2 Likes

If it existed purely to defend US territories you’d be right. But the last 70 years shows that’s not the case, and when people join the military they are tacitly accepting their potential involvement in foreign invasions. I don’t see any way around that.

1 Like

I’m just saying I can pretty much guarantee you don’t know shit about the mindset or headspace of the thousands and thousands of 17-year olds who sign up for the US military. Your claim is pretty fucking presumptuous.

3 Likes

So… they’re young and naive? Of course they often are. 17 year olds often do bad things, and are held to account for them. In a year’s time (in a day in some cases) they’ll be deemed aware and responsible enough to be voting, getting married and raising a family.

And the ones who are older than 17 who sign up?

I can understand signing up for the military when you’re young for the free college or because the US propaganda machine is insanely strong.

I can’t understand being proud of serving after growing up.

9 Likes

There’s a reason military recruiters hang out on college campuses during mid terms and finals.

1 Like

Jesus Christ, can we just ban this motherfucker already? He seriously adds nothing of value to this forum and is the biggest raging asshole here.

1 Like

We have a new low for worst thread in UPs short history.

3 Likes