Apollo 13 in real-time & other Space stuff

Made this a general Space thread.

Donning my NASA t-shirt later for Perseverance.

Easy peasy :slight_smile:

NASA TV (on youTube)

Hope this goes well - good luck to all those involved.

6 Likes

Watching the live stream … “Hi Space nerds” :laughing:

1 Like

Are we there yet?!

I really shouldn’t watch these things. I’m getting flashbacks and stomach butterflies.

“Mistakes can be made.” Yeah, buddy.

20 mins (ish) until scheduled landing time so various things will start happening any minute.

edit - ah you’re watching so know what’s what

1 Like

3mins til separation.

Someone tell me if this thing lands okay I gotta go do work rn.

1 Like

9mins from entry interface

Should we be expecting actual video of Mars today or just mission control with updates?

Data transfer should be possible because of the orbiter - when the cameras get deployed on the rover though I’m not sure. Can’t imagine they’ll waste much time though.

Chatter on the feed just now mentioned 4 hours delay but earlier they were talking about 11min.

Everybody looks nervous.

The very first thing Perseverance will do after landing is to fire some pyrotechnic devices, releasing the covers on cameras on board the rover. It will then take images in front and behind the rover and send those back to Earth via NASA’s orbiting Mars Odyssey spacecraft and Europe’s Trace Gas Orbiter. After that? A quick nap of course, “to recharge the batteries until the next day on Mars,” says Jennifer Trosper, deputy project manager for the mission at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in California.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-first-100-days-on-mars-how-nasas-perseverance-rover-will-begin-its-mission/

1 Like

parachute deployed

2 Likes

The “live” data they’re reading out actually happened 7 minutes ago so for all they know the rover has already splatted into Mars.

I’m following the CNN updates and misread ‘deployed’ as ‘destroyed’ and was like shiiiiit.

2 Likes

My son is watching right now. Pretty compelling. We watched the takeoff and landing of the SpaceX rocket last month as well.

Touchdown.

1 Like

It’s so damn cool watching everyone jump up and celebrate. That’s got to be such an amazing feeling.

2 Likes

Woot! Touchdown!

1 Like

fuck yeah!!