Afghanistan Wars: The Taliban Strikes Back.

Nah, most everyone sees the writing on the wall, the economy needs new blood.

Then why is anti-immigration almost always the #1 issue when Republicans are polled?

And 40 degrees Celsius.

1 Like

maybe just say sarcasm, or slow your roll. can’t really blame farmers for voting r if anyone one the left starts talking confiscation. large corporate farms are a problem that arises because smaller farms got squeezed hard by monopolies in distribution and infrastructure. confiscating the biggest farm just means the big money start buying every lot small enough in less than a year.

there’s already a tool, called trust-busting. put up stiff fines, split/sell the corporations into multiple farms and the processors, give inflation-pegged $15/hr with stock plans to every worker, put every migrant on a path to citizenship, and start building hospital/education infrastructure, and a lot will be right with the industry.

right now, if you put immigrants in a healthcare and services deserts, you are doing them a great disservice. that’s precisely the places with some of the least opportunity. i just drove through idaho in both directions. farms are next to places that have five campgrounds, a post office, a streetlight, and a liquor store. even the guys painting the roads aren’t from there.

you mean well and you are welcome to hate gates all you want for being a creep, but if he didn’t buy them, hedge funds, or worse monsanto, would have. i doubt you want that. in fact, they probably could have outbid gates already, it just didn’t quite make sense to pay more than what the next farm down the road was going for. farmers already figured out how to grow enough food for the whole world (albeit they need a green new deal badly). they just can’t sell enough product to make a profit, much less a decent living, because you can’t outcompete a monopsony, or vertical integration.

i’m going to stop and let you split this into another thread.

the best thing we can do for refugees isn’t promising them the proverbial 40 acres and a mule, but putting them on UBI for the foreseeable future. trust me, you wouldn’t want to compare bootstraps with an average refugee in 10 years.

and get those refugee kids into the best possible schools for gods sake.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1432436968881856515

End of an era. Man, I was still in grad school when this war started. Was at pub trivia when W came on all the TVs and announced that it was showtime. Dumbest fucking idea I’d ever heard of.

1 Like

I wasn’t even married yet and it feels like I’ve been married forever.

Remember the color-coded terror alerts? CNN actually tried to take that shit seriously for a few months. Just a completely embarrassing era to be an American.

4 Likes

You say that as if nothing came out of it…

4 Likes

It seemed like we were at CODE ORANGE for like 10 years straight.

I was too poor to own stonks until like eight years into the war.

The only time I’ve ever bought an individual stock was Halliburton before the Iraq invasion.

Can a brother get yellow, man? Just for like two months or something? Goddamn.

so they didn’t get the saigon photo after all? helicopter being shot at picking up the last man?

Did we ever actually stop having a terror alert level? Would be hilarious if there’s been some gov’t official who’s still in charge of setting the terror alerts after all these years.

It’d be awesome if the WH Press Sec with no explanation just restarted opening every briefing with “now first things first guys, terror threat level is yellow today”.

2 Likes

On January 27, 2011, Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano announced that the Homeland Security Advisory System would be replaced by a new two-level National Terrorism Advisory System in April 2011

Apparently now it’s fiddy-fiddy. There is either a threat or not a threat. Or probably more likely the two levels are WE’RE DOOMED or WE’RE MERELY FUCKED.

2 Likes

You need more threat scales. MS-13 threat level maroon. Border crisis threat level fuchsia. Hyperinflation threat level powder blue. COVID threat level green, don’t worry about that one, it’s fine.

2 Likes

Lol, the Siskel and Ebert method. Thumbs up!