Ads on Unstuck first poll

That hasn’t been the question. You’ve been asking me to put some arbitrary ceiling on all pay for all workers at some arbitrary future point that we’re never going to hit.

You want a hard number for me personally? Fine. The community can limit my pay if it would ever exceed the median wage for freelance server administration, for all of my hours, backdating to July 1st of this year. And no, I’m not tracking my hours.

Ads have been launched. There aren’t many of them and maybe you have adblocker.

Question for my own personal education, as a non-technical person, what exactly is involved in maintaining a website?

you: i’m working hard doing a service for this community, i’m humbly asking for your patience, thanks and appreciation that i’m donating my time for all of our benefit

also you: my plan all along was to turn this formerly free online community into a for-profit business owned by me

ask @anon38180840

Or more realistically, read this thread:

I don’t think you understand what the word “profit” means. Or “owned”.

Wow, you (um, we) really like to argue. This is one of those topics that only gets more contentious the more people talk about it. There is no viable compromise when it comes to getting ads especially if the discussion on how admin should be compensated for past/present/future is folded in at the same time.

Seems like the best thing is just to go with something like Micro proposed above. I would remove the opt-out language and make TL3 be the criterion for ads-free. (Of course, there needs to be some way to provide feedback (complain) about the specific ads that are shown, but I think this is already happening.)

If and when the site ever gets big enough to generate big bucks, we’ll undoubtedly have subsequent discussions (and the site and maybe the admin will likely be much different than it is today).

My advice is to declare victory and move on!

1 Like

This site lists the median at 61k which is in the neighborhood of $27/hr. Does this seem reasonable? Would expect there are others who could offer an opinion on how fair this is as well.

Can’t really do this without an estimate for your hours tho if you’re to collect what you feel you’re owed. And so everyone has a better understanding of what the site is earning and spending.

you’re making the decision to show us all ads so you can pay yourself an unlimited amount of money. to me it’s embezzlement from the community but i thought “you owning a for-profit business” was a more generous interpretation because i didn’t want to come off as too mean.

when that suspicious vote occurred which you claim gives you carte blanche wrt our community, it was NOT clear that we were voting for zikzak to be the next mason malmuth and we’re all going to be force marched onto his site where he calls the shots. the section about ads was in case not enough people donated to fund the necessary costs to keep the lights on. the idea that you can now submit a padded resume to yourself and demand uncapped remuneration is corruption. if you don’t feel like working on this site for 2 hours this week then just don’t work 2 hours this week and we’ll see what happens.

That’s for a salaried employee. Freelance is much higher. Gotta cover my overhead.

Seriously tho, what the heck is your goal here? Any number I give you that is based on the real world is going to end up being thousands and thousand of dollars more than the site can ever pay. Do you want the forum to have huge bills it can’t afford? Do you not believe me? Do you think this place is actually a secret gold mine that I’m going to plunder by taking the money that I don’t even have access to?

The site doesn’t make enough money to pay a fair wage to anybody. It almost certainly never will. What is so difficult about this for you to understand?

Those sound like pretty serious accusations. You should probably petition for my removal and ask everybody to go back to Exiled.

What the hell is going on in this thread

1 Like

Yeah it’s weird going back to exile comes up in a discussion about ads are ads are absolutely on for everyone there and with no control or input from anyone.

trump has 50% approval. human beings don’t care about corruption or mismanagement if they like the guy personally. and you’re a really likable guy, i like you. so i think most people are comfortable enough to not care that you’re stealing from us. plus i don’t want to make a poll because the bullying behavior by yourself and your toadies would make people fear retribution for voting against you and then having to live under your vengeful and unhinged management of a community that we all value. it wouldn’t be a fair poll, your stalinist brand of politics has made sure of that.

plus like, even if a poll were to formally impeach you, you would just refuse to leave and keep paying yourself checks, there’s no actual process to stop you. you took control of all the levers of oversight during the coup.

we could end all recurring donations now and be ad free on proboards for the next 10 years. but i’m getting the impression that if we tried, zikzak would attempt to claw back those donations to pay himself for thousands of hours of “work” checking an email account and clicking “yes” on the “do you want to enable ads?” button

Fuck off with this bad faith bullshit. This conversation is never going to go anywhere if this is how you’re going to approach it.

Lots of businesses operate at a deficit to start. What they don’t tend to do is commit to a single contractor for an apparently unlimited amount. The system you seem bent on creating here is an endless revenue stream for yourself. That the site doesn’t generate what you think you’re worth hardly seems relevant since you’re taking it “all” after expenses. It would be good to know when then community could start spending revenue on things besides your, as of yet, undefined salary.

And only since you asked, what I want is to know how much you think the community owes you and what amount will keep happy moving forward. An actual number so the community can see what we’re dealing with. Otherwise just don’t say anything about the work you’ve put in, don’t take a dime, and instead bask in our appreciation and the glory of creating something wonderful. But that’s just me. Because you asked.

3 Likes

The community isn’t committed to me at all. Find a replacement and we can begin the transition process.

Bit of advice: It will probably be easier to attract somebody else to fill the role if you don’t keep going out of your way to make the job an absolutely miserable experience.

3 Likes