Ads on Unstuck first poll

i’m honestly pissed this site is taking up any of zikzak’s time because i love his posts and i wish he could make more of them

Johnny, I already blocked ads from Judicial Watch per your request.

1 Like

Can’t tell if serious…

I think it’s like a Modest Proposal situation? Tbh I’m having a hard time not smashing the like button on all of SA’s posts here based on the prose quality alone, but ultimately what prevents me is that this site is indeed like ten times better than exiled, and it has put the forum in a better place for growing, luring in/retaining people, expanding subs, etc… I’m here for smart people talking about interesting and silly things, and the more of them the better.

1 Like

I would carry on in your name and see your noble efforts through to completion!

2 Likes

I thought we were completely fucked when Matt shut down the politics forum. I continue to be amazed at what a good job you guys are doing keeping this going forward. Thank you.

6 Likes

Well, the anarcho-communist way to approach this is to form a committee to determine what features are actually worth spending time on and maybe some more are just you playing around. I think people in the position to bill for things can determine those things on their own. And I’ve been in exactly that position in the real tech world where I had to basically back into “hours” by what I thought the amount of productive, required work was and how long that would have taken if I just did that.

actually, you’re supporting an authoritarian despot’s right to victimize us with capitalism right here itt. so who would believe anything you have to say about anarcho-communism?

I must suck pretty bad at doing the authoritarian capitalism, seeing as how I don’t have any access to the capital and don’t have any authority.

1 Like

you have the authority to start and stop the ads whenever you want, according to your interpretation of that thing 0.5% of users voted on

1 Like

Is there any interest in (re)forming a governance committee to address some of the issues raised itt or was the first experience with one too traumatically futile?

It sounds like you guys need to have a meeting. Then at the meeting, you can plan to have an organizational meeting. Make sure to start a subcommittee to plan the organizational meeting. Probably a good idea to have a few meetings first to plan how to staff the subcomittee. Maybe a steering group for that? I’d have a meeting to plan the steering group, maybe 3 or 4 actually. Meeting.

5 Likes

Imo the government tried to do too much at one time. If we can get a little policy on ads here, that’ll be a good accomplishment. In fact, we’re digressing about compensation here. I know the things are related, but I think at least an interim ad policy would be good.

There are about 35 people who are ok with ads (some overlap - I think I got them, but might have missed one or two), 16 people who want better ads and 13 people who don’t want ads, 7 of them feeling strongly.

I think a policy something like:

There will be ads.

Adblocker is always fine

People who think we should do better with ads should try to put something better together and admins should continue to listen to complaints about content and do their best.

Donors should not see ads

(this may be controversial, but I think important) Anyone who wants to should be able to be opt-out of ads.

I think something like that is fair and, pending comments, we could vote up or down on that. And I think we can do that and still get to compensation issues later - probably after a little break from this stuff.

edit: comment especially to gregorio: I don’t really like donors being treated differently for the same reasons as you, but that’s not the way most people think, so I’m accepting that.

2 Likes

I’d prefer no ads for TL3 in place of an opt-out.

Lol, we have got some nutjobs here. If this is authoritarianism, then you nutjobs sure are making a great case for authoritarianism. Don’t bother to participate then lose your shit on those who do all the hard work for like $1/hr.

Zikzak, I appreciate what you do, haters gonna hate.

4 Likes

What’s the criteria for TL3?

We can also manually promote people to TL3.

What’s ridiculous is helping yourself to revenue after expenses without an effort to communicate to a community-run forum what you think your efforts have been, and are, worth. “All” of it in perpetuity is an answer that is probably going to continue to cause problems.

I don’t crawl inside your head and make claims about what ideas you do/do not have. It would serve these conversations well if you didn’t do it to others.

The question has been what do you think your work is worth? There doesn’t seem to be an answer. But what is clear is your intention to collect all revenue after expenses for the foreseeable future for reasons… If that’s wrong I’m happy to be corrected.

1 Like

I dunno. Not worth a vote, but how do others feel? I think just asking to opt-out is good enough. What n00bs are even going to know to ask? But…seems like a few of those things shouldn’t be required. Likes Given? Does 50% on visits mean you have to visit 50% of the last 100 days?

Then that would take care of that.

But, most people are ok with ads. Do we want people automatically off of ads because they are TL3?

Some people actually want ads and some feel like it’s something to support the site anyway.