Admin Log

yes I am probably the boy crying wolf here. DO is now showing 80% memory use again - but free -h seems to look fine.

$ free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          7.8Gi       2.6Gi       245Mi       3.1Gi       4.9Gi       1.8Gi

To answer your Q, in the case of a true OOM (out of memory) situation, I don’t want to find out. It may be likely I lose access to the VM. However, realistically - and I have no idea if this is true, just theorizing - the processes would crash long before that (the site would go down) and free up enough memory for me to take control of the VM and fix whatever is going on.

The thing is, I really don’t ever want to have to do this so it’s not going to happen.

The reality of this situation, honestly, is that we provision much larger servers to do much less at my current job. Eventually we will want to upgrade it, but there seems to be a fatalistic attitude about this site so idk.

I am wanting to do some stress testing of the site. I don’t know how to simulate that, but I could figure it out.

This sounds exactly like the discrepancies I used to see between top and glances, which makes me think the sudden spike might be the result of DO changing how they monitor rather than an actual increase.

1 Like

yea this is my conclusion as well. System memory use correctly shows 35% when I first ssh into it. Free looks fine too.

Deleted [redacted’s] account

Revoked Risky’s mod status per request

There appears to be a limit (30) to the number of people that can be added to a PM thread. Is this something that can be increased?

I’ve made it 500 for now until the first time we get a mass spammer.

4 Likes

thank you

I’m not going to be around for a few days and won’t be responding to any requests during that time.

That was very nice of you ggoreo

4 Likes

As part of our discussion about the transition to a new admin, jmakin and I have decided to rescind his admin powers over the software now, and reinstate them temporality if he needs admin access to do any of the server stuff in order to hand that off to the incoming admin.

5 Likes

Done

3 Likes

Thank you ggerorio

2 Likes

I made @spidercrab an admin. I do not think he plans on doing much if any adminning, but we need someone else with access to the admin features in case I die He is already the treasurer and is on the hosting account under his actual name and pays the bills, so he seemed like a good option.

4 Likes

you’re going to die?

Yes

1 Like

I didn’t mean to heart that lol

2 Likes

I wrote a post in the Covid-19 thread, it was a post that landed straight after this post by goofyballer

And a 504 message appeared right away with the OK panel, so I click on it to take me back, see that the post is on my screen and deleted the post myself on my box by pressing the trash can as I automatically thought I’d been banned for goofyballer saying I was trolling as I had just @ed at MrWookie.

Is there a way to get the post back or will it be on the log so as I can assure goofyballer that I did Infact try to post immediately after him to clarify my post that has him in a twizel.

Goofyballer reply to me in the Moderation thread… Below.

Dunno how many times you @'ed Wookie but this post has obviously not been deleted

edit, yeah, seems like you meant that post:

Lay off the grass before running to make up fake drama in About Unstuck please

And I’ve reported the post for the above comment👆

I’m not really sure what you’re asking, but these are the posts starting with the one you linked to by goofy. It a post had gotten deleted, I would still see a trace of it. Looks like your post never was actually posted