About Moderation

Uh, so, if doxxers just get to come back after a week and be in good standing, I guess I’m out for good.

1 Like

What’s a little bit of light doxxing among friends?

Maybe tough since you can’t just copy/paste, but can you be more specific about the doxxing?

4 Likes

I take it you’ll be quitting SPE too, due to this principled stance against doxxers

5 Likes

AQ’s name in their profile was changed to

[Full name] is [old username] AKA commonwealth

Pretty obvious violation of rule 6 as voted on eons ago

No threats. This includes threats of violence, exposing personal information or harassment. Any post that expresses a direct, indirect, or veiled threat to anyone - whether it be another member, some other individual, or a group in general–or an incitement to violence–will be dealt with severely, may result in an immediate permanent banning, and may be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency.

is the issue that his name was there at all (allegedly) or was there and connected to the online persona he’s been using for more than a decade?

it’s lolpoker, but cuse is a public figure who’s been on the teevee and whose name easily discoverable in a number of poker databases. he gleefully had a (former) member of this community live stream his appearance at a final table while we all rooted him on. the Streisand effect is real

3 Likes

Ty

I’d assume all this is due to me not cuse being doxxed by the same person last night, and then someone finding out he doxxed cuse in his profile too. I don’t want my real name googlable from posts here which happened yesterday.

How about just don’t be dicks? Or put people you don’t like on ignore? Its not that hard to not be a dick. There’s many days I am successfully not a dick.

12 Likes

Ok. Great knowing you and great modding. Thank you for your service.

1 Like

Not to be that guy, but this isn’t clear grammatically that it is referring to doxxing, or just threats of doxxing. I assume it is intended to mean:
This includes:

• threats of violence
  • exposing personal information
  • harassment

Rather than:
This includes threats of:

• violence
  • exposing personal information
  • harassment

(Obviously doxxing is bad if threats of doxxing are bad, just making a stupid nitty point.)

Where we draw the line with public figures, what constitutes a public figure, etc, is probably a separate question. My personal opinion is that since cuse prefers not to have his IRL name associated with that screen name on this site we should honor that under the “don’t be dicks” rule.

1 Like

that’s not what’s in ota’s note above (edit: or Johnny’s note either). this seems entirely about cuse.

you can’t ignore a mod (lol at cuse still being a mod btw, but that’s a different issue i guess).

but more importantly, can you really not see why the “no dick” rule of common courtesy might not be extended to this one guy in this one situation considering what he’s directly responsible for in the forum?

2 Likes

I think it’s obviously the linking of the screen name to the real life information. That seems like clear doxxing to me. And, imo, I don’t think it’s relevant how many breadcrumbs the user might have left that would enable someone else to make that connection, particularly when the user in question has made it clear that they do not want that connection made publicly. In the CW case, admittedly, it was a large trail of breadcrumbs with the FT event. But I’ve certainly left enough personal tidbits around here to link my username to my real identity, and I’d still want someone banned if they started posting “spidercrab is XYZ ABCD who works at JKLKM” out of sheer malice.

6 Likes

Do we really need to “well actually” this? How about just don’t doxx your fellow users?

1 Like

Yes, it’s related as your situation is what caused me to view AQ’s profile. He’s had that name for a few weeks, but I had not noticed it.

This is something I’ve not paid attention to (because I don’t view myself as a mod or having any other kind of authority), but I think you’re right. I don’t think there’s any reason to have a non-user with mod status, and I’m inclined to revoke it. I’ll give the rest of the day for anyone to suggest otherwise.

10 Likes

don’t disagree at all. in this case though, there is a real difference between him and you (and virtually all of the rest of us) that shouldn’t be ignored

Ignoring the asshole means you don’t see when he doxxes you.

A better analog would be Watevs, who is a well known public figure in the poker world.

If someone updated their name here to say “[Full name] is Watevs” after Watevs changed their screen name and made an attempt to distance their screen name from their real name I think we’d all agree that’s a dick move, even if we had sweated him at a FT before.

2 Likes