About Moderation (old original thread)

Doing so rather than ignoring it raises the temperature. You’re interested in lowering it, right?

I hardly think making trolls immune from criticism is a going to improve the forum experience. I also don’t think you’ve come close to showing how speech is being policed here in the way that you described earlier.

Who are the trolls?

But that proves my point. There are people and viewpoints here you want to shout down, demean, silence. This is incredibly unfriendly behavior which you habitually engage in.

1 Like

You can check the mod actions thread if you need examples of trolls, but I’m not sure why that’s relevant right now.

Trolls exist. Internet history suggests that it’s impossible to write rules that easily keep out trolls without stifling other, wanted debate.

This forum probably prefers that trolls be dealt with by empowering mods to use their own judgment to determine who is a troll. Individual posters want the ability to judge who is morally wrong and to act accordingly.

Well, from your years-long treatment of me I can only assume that you think I’m a troll and should be banned, silenced, whatever. Probably the same with some subset of my friends marty, jalfrezi, churchill, sabo, Victor. Doesn’t really matter the exact composition here. We are Undesirables who ought not to be posting here, and you’re here to make sure they’re called names, shouted down, ignored, ostracized. We need you on that wall. Great.

Except my other friend microbet doesn’t think I’m a troll who needs to be silenced or that the others are, either. My friend Johnny Truant agrees, as does my friend cassette, my friend Mystery Conman, my friend jbro, my friend tabbaker, my friend Rex. None of these guys think I’m a troll or a bad person or someone who needs to be called names and shouted down. So maybe they get upset when that happens even if it isn’t happening to them. So how to lower the temperature with the second group? Maybe stop being an asshole to their other friends!

6 Likes

You misunderstand. I don’t need any mods on a wall. The issue is if me and my friends are going to be banned, have posts moved, and have avatars deleted by mods, then other users should be modded in the same way for the same transgressions. I’m happy for mods to step out of the way and let both sides let it rip. It seems it’s you and your friends that clamor to have threads like the bickering thread closed. I think perhaps you even argued for it to be closed.

1 Like

[quote=“SenorKeeed, post:6599, topic:3439”]
Well, from your years-long treatment of me I can only assume that you think I’m a troll and should be banned, silenced, whatever. [/quote]

I mostly have you on ignore. Don’t think I’ve called for you to be banned or silenced or really “policed” your speech in any meaningful way here on UP. Lots and lots of people have been calling you a troll for years because of your aggressively terrible style of posing and it doesn’t seem to have impeded your ability to express unorthodox ideas in the slightest. We’ve moved the goalposts here from “My speech is being silenced by thought police!” to “I don’t like criticism!”

What, the guys who have explicitly caught bans for trolling? Yeah, I don’t think I’m out of line here calling them trolls.

I never said I was being silenced. I said your posts directed towards me had that goal, and they’re extremely unfriendly. If you wanted to lower the temperature you’d stop posting like that, but you don’t actually want to lower the temperature.

I bring up myself not because I care what you think but because I’m most familiar with your posting as it’s directed towards me rather than anyone else. And I know how firsthand how insulting and unfriendly it has been. So if you want to lower the temperature, well, do it.

He’s actually soft trolling right now, of course.

So we’ve moved the goalposts from “They’re trying to control my posting!” to “They’re not friendly!”

I’m all for having the mods enforce a more friendly tone. I don’t think that means people clearly posting in bad faith can’t be criticized for that.

Don’t think you quite understood that movie.

So I did. But I haven’t been on a years long quest about what and how people should be allowed to post. My message to the mod team (I’m sure the fainting couches are all full right now since Potato shared a message to the mod team without permission) via the flagging system was very clearly about having consistent standards for the same behaviors. I’m happy to relax all standards and let it rip. I have plenty to say. I’m also happy to be modded under a set of standards, as long as they apply to everybody equally.

Are you okay with standards where repeated misbehavior leads to a shorter leash, so that recidivists get punished more harshly for the same behavior, but everyone at the same stage of repeat offense get treated equally?

I’m sorry that I deleted jalfrezi’s avatar (for the second time that day after Rugby deleted his first one) after it was flagged by a user (who was not jman) and deleted jman’s avatar 31 minutes later (which was 14 minutes after you brought it up).

In a vacuum where I actually thought we were all capable of letting things go and starting from an unbiased position, sure. But it’s never happening. That ship sailed a long time ago. I can’t let go of my own biases either. There are many people here that I intensely dislike. (Like I’m pretty sure that is obvious.)

This all started with you asking for advice on how to lower the temperature. I told you you should stop trying to control other’s posting by calling them trolls, telling others they should avoid engaging in the conversation with that person, and other similar tactics. Those tactics raise the temperature rather than lower it. Honestly, I’m starting to doubt that you actually want that outcome!

1 Like

I thought we were talking about Trolly.

Well yeah, because you’d like to see the place burn.

You sure seem to be responding to a lot of my posts that have nothing to do with you for somebody who just swore today that you completely ignore me unless responding to one of my “attacks” on you.

1 Like

I think people should be allowed to make it clear that they intensely dislike or disrespect another poster, so long as they stay within certain bounds of decorum. We’re not robots, so asking us to post emotion-free is a ridiculous standard. Expecting us to like and respect other posters based on merit is also a ridiculous standard.