About Moderation (old original thread)

The forum has been substantially better since the Bickering thread was closed.

Disagree. It’s just going to be jman and jal endlessly bickering over ghetto blasters if we don’t moderate some of these convos.

Would consider trading ikes for micro, but he never gave us a chance to make a deal.

1 Like

I might be able to try and broker something here.

OK I see this is snark but I think you’re on to something here. It depends on what you want in the forum. I want a discussion forum, and my advice is the sort of attitudes you’d want to have for a discussion forum. Say what you think, expect to get challenged when others disagree, and have a back and forth. I never really understood why people get so worked up about “ruining” threads, after all, these tangents can just be broken off and no one has to read them. Plenty of electrons running around the internet tubes for all. But I’ve come to understand that all these behaviors are is the policing of what topics are even allowed to be discussed on the forum. You stray too far outside the accepted lines and all the sudden you’re ruining a thread, you’re trolling, you’re posting in bad faith, whatever. So for people who want that sort of forum, which, I don’t know, I’d describe as a covid and Trump news aggregator and support group, you want to police acceptable speech into a narrow zone of comfortable orthodoxy, and anything outside that needs to be shouted down, moderated, or otherwise policed. It’s a support group after all, not a discussion forum. So you’re right, it depends on what people want out of the site.

I didn’t mean that they gave a public ultimatum, just that every thread they both posted in devolved into that bickering and it was not sustainable

Outside of that one Libertarian guy who got dog-piled on, I really haven’t seen what you’re describing here. What taboo subjects have you not been allowed to discuss?

I mean you’re one of the most egregious offenders here. Every time you encourage people to ignore someone, every time you say something is trolling, every time you complain about the direction a thread is taking, you’re doing exactly what I describe.

4 Likes

Flagged. Please move to “old forum drama” thread. Trolly is one of the protected class here, Mr Keeed.

2 Likes

I’d say my reply was more flippant than snarky, but perhaps that is splitting hairs. All I’m trying to point out is that you took a position that people shouldn’t make X type of post. You could be posting that as merely wishful thinking, but I actually interpret it as advocating for some type of standards about posting, whether through moderation or community norms. And so I think the first position is inconsistent with absolutely no posting standards.

ETA: and I will grant that “no posting standards” is an exaggeration of your likely position.

What topics have you been unable to discuss?

No, I said that people shouldn’t try to control other people’s posting. Which is a posting standard, one that you’d expect in a message board that encourages wide-ranging discussion.

Edit: I am deleting this post. It is not because I am trying to take a shot at Jbro in a hit and run.

1 Like

I didn’t claim that I was unable to discuss any particular topic, I just said that you and people like you sought to narrow the acceptable discourse through various tactics. Accusations of trolling, encouragements to ignore, proclaiming a thread ruined by a certain discussion, stuff like that. You were asking how you might act to lower the temperature, and stopping those tactics and adopting a more tolerant posture might help.

1 Like

I mean, did you even see what hte post was before I deleted it? If not, then how was it an attempt to do a hit and run? It was a juvenile post responding to your juvenile post that I thought better of. One of the two of us is able to have some introspection and self-control I guess.

Edit: Lol, well played sir.

1 Like

Arguing for no moderation is arguing for a bad forum. It’s not something we should waste any time or effort on

1 Like

Who’s arguing for no moderation?

Jalfrezi, a few hours ago.

1 Like

These should be considered acceptable discourse.

Then I think your rhetoric about speech being policed was a bit overblown. As far as I can tell, people are free to express unorthodox ideas as long as they’re not bickering or patently trolling.

Also, man, if I think someone is arguing in bad faith, or if a thread is being garbaged up, I should be allowed to say so.