About Moderation (old original thread)

Yeah, Dr. Melfi did the exact same thing. Everyone knows who that account is, he guested his old account. Big deal. But this is about being banned for two days, really.

1 Like

Redacted for privacy.

I donā€™t know who Dr. Melfi was.

Me either. I thought it was someone new.

Take a break from online forums and take care of yourself first dude.

I do remember some lurker accounts on some other online boards looking people up and Iā€™m like the **** is wrong with you.

I had thought that all moderator actions should be logged, but with the new rules and warning people for even mild attacks it seems both more than people would want logged and logging the admonition is a doubling of the ā€œpunishmentā€. Not planning on doing it, at least with the most gentle of reminders to be nice. If anyone thinks thatā€™s wrong lmk.

1 Like

Letā€™s be honest about it, itā€™s too much work for something of dubious benefit too.

Sure, but I can always just do less moderating and log whatever I do. I donā€™t feel any obligation to be here all the timeā€¦which reminds me, Iā€™m supposed to work today.

My take would be not to post about ā€œadmonishments.ā€ But do post about post editing, deletions, and member timeouts (whether thatā€™s silencing or suspending aka temp-baning). Possibly post about post hiding?

One way to look at it is that the admonishments ā€œdocumentā€ themselves by virtue of being a post thatā€™s clearly visible to all members. The other actions arenā€™t transparent to non-mods, so should be documented. Make sense?

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a good point. Admonishments are their own log entry.

This thread should be to log actions that would otherwise not be apparent or visible.

1 Like

It should also probably be locked and pinned to the top of the about the forum section. Discussion should be in another thread.

This would still represent an improvement.

1 Like

Iā€™d rather people be straight up but mileage varies.

PM me if you want info on how to hide in plain sight

4 Likes

I would like a derail excised from the Mental Health thread. That is not the place to discuss the merits of rating women on a 10-point scale, how hot chicks are dumb, or making the case that @boredsocial is spouting b.s. @RiskyFlush has denied my request but this doesnā€™t seem right to me. The topic has nothing to do with mental health. Please and thank you.

2 Likes

I do not find your reading of the conversation persuasive. I accept that this is your reading and that the feelings you are experiencing are true for you. No one has said the things you are accusing us of. That is not the conversation we are having. I accept your confusion and am happy to discuss it with you if you are open to doing so in a manner that does not involve such vile accusations to make your point.

For me, the conversation of mental health within the pursuit of a relationship is very much in the spirit of a mental health thread. It is getting expansive enough in topic though that I could see it being better served by discussing the relationships aspect in a dedicated thread.

Again, though, the excise would not happen because you contine to make vile accusations.

I am feeling quite hurt by the things youā€™ve chosen to say and how you chose to handle this. I will recuse myself for the day.

2 Likes

Seems like youā€™re making a mountain out of a molehill. All BS seems to be saying is that compatibility is more important than looks in a long term relationship. Now I agree thatā€™s a dumb opinion but itā€™s not totally outlandish or anything.

Iā€™m sorry that I hurt you. This was not my intention. Your perception of my perception of you is incorrect. I agree that I did not express myself well, but I was very surprised by the positive reception of a very toxic perspective. I do not mean to shut the conversation down. I would like it moved to an appropriate thread.

1 Like

Like I said in the other thread, if anything i said was misogynistic I would like to retract/correct it. I was not really aware that a ten point scale of attractiveness was sexist, but I can see how reducing a person to a number would be belittling to them. That was not my intent when I used that language, I was trying to describe a personā€™s attractiveness using the language of the conversation. To be clear I donā€™t typically use or advocate such language, and I was just kind of rephrasing what was said to me. I did not mean to encourage any misogynistic conversation.

I donā€™t think it was really bad enough to warrant this derail but I do also know I have massive blind spots with misogyny. I want to make it clear that I consider myself a feminist and it was not my intent to come off that way at all.

i consider BS a friend and appreciate the advice as well (as well as the other advice itt). But I did not mean to cause a stir, sorry.

4 Likes

I got caught up in something that had nothing to do with you. I apologize for my part in the situation.

2 Likes