About Moderation (old original thread)

Iā€™m not sure why you havenā€™t been banned yet. But consider this a short reprieve until a current mod gets to it, or Iā€™m added as a mod.

Nah it will be permanent.

Iā€™ve been banned plenty, basically had my donations robbed.

Sounds like this is your last chance for some free Wendyā€™s.

1 Like

The two are unrelated. No worries though, posters are welcome to criticize any decision I make.

1 Like

People still think heā€™s well-intentioned?

Heā€™s trolled UP in discord and yucked it up with Sven about it.

His avatar is trolling a current mod. There are actually how many discord members currently participating in this avatar trolling campaign?

Heā€™s shitting on the process over here because he didnā€™t get his way and got ridiculed about a proposal.

He argues that his election was some kind of mandate, while in the same election Clovis got a stronger majority of votes while pledging to ban nobody.

I think heā€™s a pretty solid troll.

2 Likes

Start an rfc

2 Likes

You should be able to post links, even at TL0. Sounds like a bug.

Done.

3 Likes

Hey all,

As promised, I will be issuing two lengthy bans this morning until July 1, 2032. The two posters being banned are Churchill and jalfrezi. I want to start by saying I personally hold no ill will towards either poster, and wish them the best in any other online community they may choose to participate in. I do not believe they are responsible for all issues here, but still believe it is in the best interest of the forum.

There were originally going to be two more bans issued, but these are not happening for a couple reasons. Over the past week, this forum has been operating with basically zero issues. There have been very few flags, about unstuck threads have fallen off the front page, and thereā€™s been very little drama overall. There are a number of reasons that this may have happened, but it coincides with the two posters who are not being banned being on their best behavior and contributing positively to the forum. It also coincides with the two posters who are being banned being absent from the forum.

If behavior reverts to being very negative to this forum, or if any poster makes it clear their only reason for being here is to attack this community, then further bans may be considered. Otherwise, my hope is that these are the only two i issue.

If you disagree with my decisions, there is an established protocol for the community to request that these bans are reversed, or that I should be removed as a mod. I will not argue against either of these things happening and will respect the community vote if it reaches the 60% threshold. I will also review the votes and if over 50% of what I consider to be active posters are voting against me, I will honor the decision at that lower threshold.

Final thing, I am agreeing to the idea that if any lengthy ban I issue is reversed, then all lengthy bans I issue will be reversed and I will resign as a mod so that the community does not need to go through the process of several long votes.

Thanks all, and for those of you in the US, have a great holiday weekend!

1 Like

If this happens, wouldnā€™t the logical conclusion be that the two posters who were banned were not the cause, or at the very least, not the only cause? If this is an experiment, you controlled for two variables. If this does not cause the result of the experiment to change, the null hypothesis is that those were not the variables causing the result.

I already donā€™t believe they were the only cause. I donā€™t believe that needs to be true for it to be true that this is the best decision for the forum as a whole.

OK. I guess itā€™s the platform you ran on and were elected on, so sounds like thatā€™s what the majority of the forum wants.

Wow you really took a leap with those bans!

1 Like

I believe you said your bans would not be along group lines. A lie, what a shocker.

It was honest at the time. It may still happen.

1 Like

Ok liar

Not a liar, but willing to admit that my opinion can change on things. If it does, something I previously said may contradict the current situation.

Iā€™m sorry if the decision upsets you. I think you and I have always had a good rapport here, and Iā€™d like to continue that.

When you capriciously ban someoneā€™s friends for ten years they might hold it against you. Who would have thunk it.

And yes Iā€™ve always gotten along with you and if someone banned you for ten years Iā€™d be upset too.

2 Likes