About Moderation (old original thread)

Well, I suggest you start one, because it fucking was, and I have evidence of that.

Among people to disagree with and even fight and even call names and even post quite unreasonably sometimes, Clovis is like top-top. If you canā€™t manage to discuss something with him and maybe get him to come around to seeing things how you see them, then youā€™re really looking for a bubble. Seriously, he has changed his mind about things because people have convinced him online. He may fall back sometimes, but still, heā€™s something of a unicorn.

Also, heā€™s the only poster here who could do an AMA about being a dungeon master and it would be worth looking at.

I have had zero experiences with him that werenā€™t just knee-jerk insults or worse; see the post I quoted. If you think that kind of posting is good, I wonder what kind of forum you want to have here.

2 Likes

I might be able to get in as #11 on that list, too.

Seems like itā€™s one with people like you and with people like me, and people like clovis. All-inclusive.

1 Like

That was my point, Iā€™d rather much rather be in a non-starvation gulag than any solitary confinement prison.

1 Like

You guys are funny.

The only people who got fed without having to fend for themselves were the ones being used for slave labour to mine heavy metals or dig canals, which eventually killed them from exposure of one type or another.

Do you wordsmiths even understand the sort of cruel, inhumane shit that people have done to one another in history? Using the word ā€œtortureā€ to describe all of it only serves to diminish its impact on those who have actually suffered it. Iā€™m no fan of psychological ā€œtortureā€, but please, find a different word for it. That one is already taken, and it creates a false equivalence.

Words mean things.

Iā€™m not saying the gulag was good, actually. Iā€™m saying Iā€™d rather live in a forced labor camp with social contact with my fellow prisoners than solitary confinement for years on end.

1 Like

Whatā€™s your goal when you make a post like this? The pleasure of getting someone to admit they were wrong? Are you willing to let go of such a goal for the sake of letting people clarify or revise their argument? Dunking on them for your confusion over their point, even if thatā€™s in part because of how they chose to express themselves, strikes me as malicious, no matter the claimed neutrality of your intent.

1 Like

No neutral intent there. The guy is fucking lying, and Iā€™ve called him out on it (not the lying, but the topic) several times already on 2+2. This is a subject that is close to my heart. I know heā€™ll never admit heā€™s wrong, and claim that the CIA forged documents or whatever flavour of conspiracy shit heā€™s selling today, but Iā€™m going to call that out.

Not necessarily disagreeing, but have you tried either, before making this judgement call?

Iā€™m limiting it to federal prison because that was your thesis, genius. If youā€™re going to compare things, you should probably understand what youā€™re comparing.

You have no fucking idea what youā€™re talking about. If you stopped pretending to know what you are talking about and asked questions instead of making statements and pushing conspiracy theories, that could make for productive discourse. As it is, you are an extremist, pushing propaganda, no better than a Trumper in my eyes.

No, and Iā€™m happy to defer to anyone with actual relevant life experience. But from what Iā€™ve read the effects of prolonged, complete isolation are absolutely devastating.

I read somewhere that the short-term effects of a gunshot to the head arenā€™t particularly salubrious either, but whoā€™s counting, eh?

Youā€™re right, and I apologise. I did a search for ā€œfederalā€ under your SN and I canā€™t find anything relevant. Doesnā€™t detract from my main point, but I guess itā€™s a bit of a shot to my credibility.

Youā€™re right though, your comparison was between all prisons and the gulags, not just federal prisons. Now that weā€™ve cleared that up, you can address the main point.

Maybe if someone is a mod both here and on 2p2 they can move all these posts over there where the argument started.

4 Likes

WTF are they seriously having an argument in ā€œAbout Moderationā€ about posts from 2+2?

4 Likes

This has the makings of a French BBV prizefight for the ages

1 Like

If only there were a mod around who had the power to excise accidental derails to a new thread, instead of posting sarky remarks. If onlyā€¦

Ok, then. You win this debate on account of my ā€œlyingā€ whether it was just federal prisons you compared to the gulags, or all prisons, and then admitting the mistake lie. Well argued.

Never mind, goofy, looks like we wonā€™t be needing that new thread after all.

A forum where the moderators defend the behavior of people who constantly reflexively insult others and make attacks and smears on their character is one that will soon be comprised of only those people.

Even if Microbet is right: Why would I want to waste my time arguing with someone who is constantly reflexively insulting or making character smears of people, someone who always behaves like heā€™s infallible, because someone else says maybe sometimes he will actually change his mind? Whatā€™s in it for me to put up with being treated like that?

There are plenty of people I can go talk to politics about without being insulted repeatedly, even people who donā€™t see the world the way I do. Thatā€™s not ā€œbeing in a bubbleā€; thatā€™s called ā€œrefusing to give my time and attention to people who canā€™t treat me with a minimum baseline of respect.ā€ Any forum that doesnā€™t have a baseline of respect established among members is never going to be a community. I donā€™t owe it to anyone here to put up with Clovisā€™ or anyone elseā€™s crap, and if the mods defend that crap, well, then I know what kind of forum this is.

2 Likes

You ever been to a social gathering? Or a bar maybe? You just talk to the people you want to talk to, and donā€™t talk to the people you donā€™t want to talk to. Internet works pretty similar.

I find it very hard to imagine that any conduct in this forum is beyond, say, what would get someone kicked out of a pub in real life.

You are a lucky person, if thatā€™s true.

You are like the guy who cuts in and makes abrasive comments from a side group though usually from what Iā€™ve seen. I donā€™t care if you stay or leave but donā€™t act like you are normally conversing.

9 Likes