About Moderation (old original thread)

Thanks, without your sleuthing we never would have figured out that jalfrezi doesn’t think some of the current mods are treating this issue fairly. Now my eyes have been opened and I see the light.

I guess since this is my only post for the next two hours I might as well use this opportunity to register my disbelief that referring to an unspecified group of posters as “proud boys” is worth a week off.

4 Likes

OK out of boredom I forum sleuthed through about 10 of the most “controversial” posters in these threads as I was curious to see if they actually posted in good faith/contributed content to the forum in general or just here to stir up shit/troll/bicker. I glanced at about 20 of their posts at least a day old i.e. not this sunday’s shitshow.

name content level what & where do they post/notes
Jbro 90% content covid and nfl
goofyballer 75% content 25% bickering threads many
jalfrezi profile hidden :thinking:
vict0ar 50% content 50% being a dick takes often breaks, doesn’t seem to post in good faith
SenorKeeed 75% content 25% arguing many
jman220 75% content 25% arguing many
PocketChads 90% content many, takes big breaks from posting
CaffeineNeeded 75% content 25% arguing/bickering threads covid, lc, doesn’t post much in politics threads for some reason :thinking:

So yeah dunno why most of you guys continue to fight in here as there’s really no “real” trolls other than maybe vict0ar and jalfrezi? Full transparency both have been on my perma ignore forever so maybe I’m biased.

7 Likes

A week was probably too much so I reduced it to 2 days. The main reason for the ban was multiple users flagging it for shit stirring.

2 Likes

Hi sabo.

What’s up with Cactus? Like did I have him on ignore and he escaped or what? Like @grue ‘s post above I’ve had Vic and Jal on ignore forever and I kinda thought that’s what I had done with Cactus. All of a sudden there’s this annoying poster and I’m just wondering if I need to remind myself on how to block someone.

when you set someone to ignore the hardest option to select is forever. Might have done a year or something and have it expire.

2 Likes

I’d have been a lot less confused about the distinction your team was making if you used “statist” as your pejorative of choice instead of “liberal.”

1 Like

Going back to what ctyri said, this is really the issue and key difference between liberals and leftists in this forum.

Liberals like leftism, consider themselves squarely on the left, support leftist policies and politicians, and want leftism to succeed.

Leftists hate us with a neverending passion of a thousand suns and generally just compare us to 2p2 and cops.

“liberals want leftism to succeed”? not in my experience. some of my longtime friends have been way more hostile to me and mine over politics the last six years than even my MAGA family members. attacking me and my friends’ mental health, calling us bigots, while at the same time making misogynist and racist comments to my women and black friends, or anti-semitic comments about Bernie Sanders.

even limiting it to this forum, the few times i delved into politics here, i without fail got multiple rude, condescending, snarky, smug replies from liberals. you know, the kind where what they believe is so obviously true because they’re so much smarter than you that they don’t even need to explain themselves.

in my experience, this post lines up with the narratives liberals tell themselves about themselves, but the mask slips quickly if you press them as to why their actions don’t match their performative support, or confront them on matters like:

liberals often use tools of political power against leftists

and it’s stuff like that fact that gives rise to “leftists [hating liberals] … and [comparing them] to cops.”

and i don’t even mean to direct this at anyone here-- really! i mean that. i just think it helps to contextualize what that summary looks like from my perspective, and based on the people i talk to and what i’ve observed, i gather my experience in this regard is sadly not at all uncommon.

eta: I have no idea if this post is even relevant to the forum. I think some of the divide here is political, but there’s certainly more than that at play.

2 Likes

Well, sure. Some people just like to argue. I’ve largely lost my taste for it.

Again, in my personal experience, the condescension has never been as persistent as with liberals. I’ve had bad experiences with people of every political stripe. But especially as the fissure has widened between the left and liberals in the last 6-7 years or so, the reactions I get from liberals are the most consistent and persistent in that regard. And I’ve had that experience with people from every point on my social-relationship spectrum, from strangers online to real-life acquaintances to people I’ve known 20 years and once considered my best friends. So it’s also not just something where the anonymity and distance of being online is causing it.

I’m just at the point where I’m sure enough that I’m smart enough and well-read enough and studied history and systems of power enough that if you (royal you, not you specifically) approach me like I’m a stupid child, can’t treat me with even basic human respect, I’m going to assume there’s no real conversation to be had, and I’m not going to bother trying. (That might be underselling it, since people will at least sometimes take the time to slowly and carefully explain things to stupid children.)

If we disagree on goals or values or causes and effects or even some kind of working theory of change or history, that’s still not the same as you just thinking I’m someone to be dismissed out of hand and you start inventing reasons why something must be wrong with me for me to believe what I believe. (Although a big part of why my passion for arguing has dissipated is that I have spent plenty of time arguing all those other things and I don’t think I’ve changed a single mind. I’ve concluded that you can’t argue people out of their fundamental values or worldview.)

To the extent the left’s complaints about liberals are justified, it’s largely as I’ve summarized above: Liberals pay lip service to leftist goals and values but in practice use systems of power to thwart those goals. I don’t really think there’s an inverse equivalent, because leftists don’t have the power to do that. (I also don’t know what “a liberal goal and value leftists pay lip service to” looks like.)

But again, I don’t know that this has anything to do with the forum or how much it relates to the divide here. I’m just speaking from personal experience since I felt the need to respond to that post.

5 Likes

In my experience, it’s Victor and Co. who behave this way. Funny how that works.

2 Likes

Y’all should stop posting ITT so much.

7 Likes

I think we already had this conversation about vegans and meat eaters. Meat eaters notice and remember the in-your-face vegans far more often, and vegans notice the constant barrage of in-your-face meat all the time. Of course you notice the people who disagree with you more. The people on your team aren’t rude to you in particular nearly as often.

1 Like

But similarly to my above point of liberals vs. leftists, while there may be no shortage of individually annoying vegans, they do not have the kind of power the meat industry does; veganism doesn’t dominate the culture or food options (in America anyway) the way meat does. There isn’t a vegan equivalent to factory farming, either in scope/power or in harm done.

Total aside, especially as it’s not really a moderation problem but I don’t see a forum software thread-- the extra number of steps you have to navigate to ignore someone if their profile is set to private can be frustrating and easy to forget. I wonder if there’s a way to make it simpler.

5 Likes

I don’t see why private profile even exists. They don’t hide anything, just make some mundane tasks more annoying.

3 Likes

It’s a one-off couple of extra clicks, not the most onerous of tasks surely?

People (not you) complain about it mainly to draw attention to the fact they’re putting someone on ignore. For some reason people love to announce their ignores to everyone.

It is legitimately confusing to find someone’s profile if they’ve set it to private. Once you know how it’s easy, but if it’s your first time, it’s a pain.

Not disagreeing with your second point that it’s often done to draw attention/announce they are ignoring someone.

I don’t know how to find private profiles, and many people are saying I’m a genius

3 Likes

It’s not a knock against anyone who uses it. It’s a feature so it’s obviously perfectly reasonable to use it. I’m just saying i don’t understand why it’s a feature. All it does it makes several tasks (even looking at something like your latest posts) slightly less convenient while gaining no other functionality.

Maybe that’s the functionality it gains?

Throttling this thread makes things less convenient but some believe there are benefits to making people wait before they post.

We had (maybe before your time) an instance of someone half losing his mind and following another poster around every thread he was in, posting the same thing over and over at him lol.

In that case the feature should be hide last seen. in which case you cannot see anyone else’s last seen either. same as whatsapp for example.

Also i didnt even know people talk politics here. I thought its all walrus food and nfts. Seems silly to argue politics online

3 Likes