About Moderation (old original thread)

*tiolet

1 Like

Whoever voted to de-admin oreo should be ashamed of themselves.

10 Likes

It has to be a joke or a mistake. It should not be taken seriously or binding in any way.

No, and I wish you would retract that comment. It comes across as an accusation.

Fair. I donā€™t know his intentions and I shouldnā€™t speculate. Just a weird situation. Iā€™ll delete.

1 Like

Obviously itā€™s your right to step down if you feel itā€™s necessary but the vote was 96% yes you should stay. Thatā€™s borderline a misclick no vote.

4 Likes

Think about it for a couple of days. If you enjoy doing it you should consider staying on, your replacement might not and might feel obligated to do something he doesnā€™t enjoy for the greater good.

Can we re-elect you? Perhaps after a break? I mean, I get wanting to have a popular mandate, and I get wanting to take a break. Those are both solvable problems. Iā€™d hate to lose a good guy permanently to something easily solvable like that.

4 Likes

I think the admin role is under-discussed - it has all the powers of a moderator, plus other stuff. Admins should absolutely have the full confidence of the forum. olink was most recently approved by community vote, which is good. ggoreo was never voted on by the community, but heā€™s so trusted and has done such a good job that Iā€™m not sure any vote is necessary. That leaves me - I have an admin account, basically as a backup to make sure that someone has the keys to this place in case something happens to the real adults. But Iā€™ve also never been voted on to be an admin, and I am not obviously qualified to be one. (For example, I canā€™t actually fix things in Discourse when they break.)

So Iā€™m just putting it out there that if anyone thinks that I shouldnā€™t have an admin account, that person should feel comfortable saying so and recommending that it be taken away.

2 Likes

Iā€™d likely trust @ggoreo and @spidercrab with keys to my house, let alone this website. I would love for both to stay on as admin.

12 Likes

Yeah, this.

I guess if we want to have an official vote on that to show them our confidence in them, Iā€™d be for that.

1 Like

Thank you to @ggoreo and whoever else fixed the Tweet embeds.

1 Like

Is there a reason the Afghanistan thread was locked? Did I miss something?

I know that the war is ā€œoverā€ from the standpoint of US military involvement, but stories from there arenā€™t going to stop.

5 Likes

Nobody missed anything; it appears Iā€™m just a moron. Pretty sure it pocket-locked from my phone. If itā€™s any consolation I also had to explain to three coworkers why I texted them some version of arglebarglealfdjpwera at 6:30 this morning. I also feel terrible. Sorry.

Gonnaā€™ look into whether thereā€™s a way to lock moderator tools from my phone while still being able to get alerts/etc., so this doesnā€™t happen again. May just have to return to not modding from my phone.

9 Likes

No need to feel bad. Itā€™s no big deal at all.

4 Likes

Thanks Micro. I recognize itā€™s not a huge inconvenience to not post in a thread for 45 minutes, I just want people here to be able to trust in well-intentioned and reasonable moderation.

7 Likes

Can a @moderators please clear all the flags? I have a notification that I can no longer clear myself and itā€™s driving me nuts

Iā€™ve cleared all flags a couple of times today. Let me know if this still isnā€™t fixed on your end.

1 Like

67 posts were split to a new topic: Moderating Oneself

yup, itā€™s gone. thanks.