About Moderation (old original thread)

It’s great that you’re looking out for Wookie’s well-being.

1 Like

I’m glad we’re at least allowed to have discussions in this thread now. A healthy change of pace.

1 Like

True, even if the thought of being labelled weak for requesting a self-ban might put some off the idea.

Folks.

Keen to have a discussion about abusive, swearing or rudeness to PMs to mods.

How should this be resolved?

On the one hand. The volunteers here shouldn’t be subjected to abuse. So I dont think we should just be expected to put up with it.

On the other hand, having one side of a discussion being able to arbitrarily moderate the other and draw the line wherever they want, especially if the rest of forum won’t see it, doesnt seem right other. Its neither transparent or accountable.

Perhaps one mod should ask other mods to make a call?

Thoughts?

You mean people are PMing the staff abusive stuff? Snap-tempban ainec.

JFC, what is even going on, everybody chill the heck out.

3 Likes

Flag and let another mod decide.

3 Likes

Snap fucking ban anyone doing that shit

Swearing at mods via PM or swearing in a PM to a mod about something else seem like two different things to me: one bad and one whatever. But yeah abusive PMs should probably be moderated to the same standards as if it was an open post in the forum? I think that makes sense?

3 Likes

I guess let another mod decide, but that seems like a line too far imo, I’d be leaning towards a ban

Strong disagree

Great. I think asking another mod is the way to go.

Its certainly not as black and white as many of you are saying. Because the line has to be drawn somewhere.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bickering about old drama

Strongly disagree that abuse should be moderated the same in an open post versus a PM? Why? Moderating with the same standard seems like the most consistent and easiest thing to apply?

A higher standard of conduct should be expected for private messages.

3 Likes

I guess going out of the way to PM mods and swear at/ harass them seems like a step above doing it as a reply in a thread. And just I’m tired of volunteer mods here getting shit on.

Great we struggle to find the right standard on the open forum, and now we are going to have another standard for PM? I’ll just register my disagreement, and leave it alone from here. I’m not going to have to worry about it anyway.

I probably didn’t express the nuance great. But as an example consider if person A sends person B a PM and person B asks person A to knock it off (either to stop PMing altogether or not to do certain things in PMs). I think it would be reasonable to expect person A to abide by B’s request, even if B’s request wouldn’t be enforceable for public posts.

To make it more concrete, I think it would be reasonable for one poster to ask another poster not to PM them (as has happed here), and that no reason needs to be given for this. But the same standard wouldn’t apply to posting in the forum at large.

1 Like

Luckily the current mods don’t feel abused every time somebody questions them. But I suuuuure am curious about who is sending them nasty PMs.

Wasn’t me. This time.

1 Like

Okay. Perhaps I should have assumed this would happen. I’ll clarify.

Jman told me to fuck off in a discussion about the weeks ban.

It wasn’t particularly heinous and I have thick skin. Im not even sure it was over a line. There have been a number of more heated PMs over the last couple of months. This was just the one that prompted me to discuss it.

I think we’ve landed on a good position, which is just to let the other mods handle it. Which seems to be a good principle overall if you are anyway involved.

4 Likes