About Moderation (old original thread)

Would be a hard sell given bad faith actors use of personal info to be assholes on this site

2 Likes

Well, consider how people want to handle intra-party Democratic division. Some people want to go hard at conservative and centrist Democrats, so they come into this forum and want to go equally hard at anyone they disagree with, even if the disagreement isnā€™t over stuff that fits into a left vs center/right narrative. They take a mode of arguing and apply it to everything political. (And I see the moderation debate as both forum-level politics and also meta-political discussion.)

There are people here whoā€™ve known each other for 15+ years, have hung out IRL etc. I donā€™t think thatā€™s going to do it, but that will get into the weeds of my theory about the narcissism-inducing effect of online interaction.

Some of the most vituperative posters are centrist Democrats, so I donā€™t think this is it.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve mentioned that STTF ran very well without moderation for a long timeā€¦well, most of the most frequent posters had met each other. There were many gatherings with multiple people including some in LV with more than a dozen. Iā€™ve met several people here and some of them on the other side of these arguments and there are definitely lines that neither of us cross because of that which get crossed by people who have never met each other. I tried at the very beginning of this forum to set up something in LV.

3 Likes

Are any of the most combative posters arguing for Joe Manchinā€™s idea of bipartisanship and decorum?

Centrist commentary on the machinations of the centre-left wing of capital donā€™t interest me terribly, so I have no idea.

Iā€™ve decided that I am willing to meet with people from this forum now. I know I have met at least one person from this forum before in a non-poker context. I just met iron81 at the Horseshoe Hammond and might be capable of meeting other people there on a future date. I tried to meet Riverman in Vegas when he posted where he was playing and missed him.

I will be in Las Vegas for a few days next week, then on to Los Angeles. I am open to meeting anyone in either spot, although I am doing a bunch of family stuff in LA and might not have time. The best opportunity might be if I sneak out to Hollywood Park at night to play poker, but I think increased restrictions in LA might make that a bit harder. I also hope to be in LV for the WSOP and am willing to meet up with people there.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve probably met 50. Iā€™ve stayed at peopleā€™s houses in different parts of the country and others have stayed at mine. Iā€™ve played a bunch of home games. Met a bunch of people at Commerce. Done business with people. Itā€™s all about the friends you make a long the way.

Iā€™d 100% be up for meeting you if you are in LA or maybe in LV if I can get there.

(Iā€™m not in LA at the moment. Near Santa Cruz for maybe a week.)

3 Likes

Hey, me too! Well not recently but used to basically live in that place. Fuck that place imo.

I felt like this was something I wanted to have a separate thread for:

You were surprised?

That was the easiest prop bet won ever

@MrWookie why did you lock the thread about me? Did you want to continue the discussion here or were you loftily indicating by some action that the time for argument is past?

5 Likes

Whatā€™s left to say? Under the current rules there is no obligation for a mod to be accountable for their actions other than a vote to remove them by the whole community. They are no more required to apologize for mistakes than any other poster. The thread was veering into ā€œMy personal encounters with Nazismā€ so why leave it open?

1 Like

There also doesnā€™t appear to be a rule preventing discussion about a modā€™s actionsā€¦

2 Likes

Nor one about ā€œMy personal encounters with Nazismā€ whatever exactly that means.

Thereā€™s always something left to say. They were literally mid-conversation.

2 Likes

Does this look like a discussion forum to you mister?

3 Likes

If itā€™s fair to being up what a politician said 10-20 years ago, itā€™s fair to bring up what someone posted five months ago.

1 Like

3 Likes

For the record I donā€™t care if people quote old posts, I just thought that thread was overrun by anger from all directions.

2 Likes

Everyone is waiting for you to start a separate thread.

2 Likes