About Moderation (old original thread)

1200px-SnarkFront.svg

4 Likes

The bickering over petty bullshit is the end goal, unfortunately.

1 Like

The perpetually aggrieved are always going to be the perpetually aggrieved. GL fixing that…

1 Like

That’s the only conclusion I can come to as well.

Good post; positive tone, much contribution. Impartial account of the recent thread activity, uberrima fides all round.

5 Likes

Seamless.

3 Likes

This is a trait that also applies to our friends across the aisle.

You were just telling us you that you think abusive posts should be allowed.

How would he be modded in the sort of community-moderated forum that you envision?

1 Like

Do you have any thoughts on a charge of hypocrisy being banworthy? You appear fully committed to it being entirely unworthy of notice.

In the vast majority of cases, I don’t see that banning the poster who made them serves any purpose other than to gratify the target of the posts. Which I think leads to an unhealthy dynamic and worsens the forum.

1 Like

I believe Wookie mods in good faith. I don’t necessarily believe he always makes the right decision as a mod.

1 Like

Getting a subforum where people will be “kind” approved and getting the evil Wookie out of office sound like changes not under the terms of those in power. But those efforts have been abandoned after passing initial muster (and I say that as someone who thinks meb was acting in 100% good faith.)

I wouldn’t envision it working.

Just thinking out loud here but maybe we need some kind of “shit or get off the pot” policy. If you want Wookie to go away, start an RFC to remove him. If you think “go fuck yourself” posts should be allowed, set up an RFC to change the “no personal attacks rule.” The endless grievance threads are not ever going to accomplish anything other than continue the toxicity that’s strangling this website. Do something to fix the problem or STFU and deal with jt.

1 Like

@Vict0ar, @All-InFlynn, @microbet: I respect you all as people and promise this question is in good-faith. Since the subforum seems abandoned, what would make you feel like this existing forum is genuinely supportive of you? If the subforum is truly abandoned then I’m not certain of solutions myself. If Wookie presumably steps down, does that actually solve the problem or are we equally worried of bias elsewhere?

Additional thoughts I have:

1. Minimizing bans. When possible, providing warnings and encouragement for correction before banning).
  2. Providing public rationale for any bans - including quoting the offending post.
  3. Adding additional mods from the subforum group, perhaps? I miss @MysteryConman for example, and would literally fist-pump if he became mod here.
  4. No mods?
  5. No bans?

Your additions are welcome.

1 Like

Bernie or Warren were overwhelming favorites here in the primary, Pete backers were openly hated on and virtually no one backed Biden. I do agree that sharp disagreements over the appropriate course of action once Biden won anyway are relevant, and have clear parallels, to what is going on in the forum now.

Despite what CN says, I think I’ve put a lot of effort into trying to make things better here. I’ve tried to really understand the people who are upset and why and not just look at outbursts. And I’ve tried to make and facilitate peace with anyone who is willing to make an honest effort like Wichita, Suzzer, Clovis and sometimes you.

So, my opinion here, negative, but I hope you take it well…it feels to me like you’re insulting a group of people (which includes me) and often requesting their ban without trying to understand or relate to them. I’m sure you could have a nice talk with marty the same way Wichita did and come out understanding a little more and a little less likely to just think banning him is the solution.

1 Like

My point is that it didn’t (at least not as much) seep into other threads. The same people who fought in the Bernie thread posted happily together in the LC thread or played walrus or talked about movies or posted about covid. People who wanted nothing to do with animosity could get away from it almost entirely.

You’re asking why I didn’t compare apples to oranges?

How about less modding in the ATF threads? People can avoid those so easily it’s absurd (imo) to complain about them. But, a much higher standard for behavior expected outside ATF threads?

If people want to walk into here, let them get their heads torn off if they must, but I will not stand by while people, especially my friends, are insulted, being treated rudely, put under dog piles, just because someone disagrees with them.

MCM is probably not coming back.

I think Flynn is right that bans don’t work, for the most part, but a mod can pretty easily excise a fight into ATF and let anyone who wants to brawl brawl.

And if anyone thinks they can make peace after brawling, good for them. Maybe they fight it out and come to an understanding. It’s happened more than once. If not, at least the normies are left unbothered.

6 Likes