About Moderation (old original thread)

I do, but I have a wider view of it as being meta-political and think there are lessons for the wider political landscape. The Democrats are the way they are partly because they prioritize cutting down the “bullshit drama”. Are posters NIMBY hypocrites if they want Democrats to behave in a way that would increase internal party drama but don’t want the same dynamic to occur here?

1 Like

Clearly a small minority does enjoy it and in fact lives for the drama.

It is extremely disappointing.

2 Likes

Perhaps this wasn’t your intention but you and others are effectively equalizing the actions of PC (confirming the identity of a poster, which was already public knowledge) and jmakin (making a private message thread–that he had no right to view!–public with the clear intent of starting a shitstorm). To be clear I don’t think there are many trying to ‘run PC out of town’ but I think it’s perfectly reasonable to want PC to return while thinking jmakin has betrayed the trust of the community and should be exiled.

Seriously, if there’s one action in the history of this forum that deserves a permaban it’s what jmakin did because it was a total abuse of power. I don’t think PC’s transgression is anywhere close to that.

20 Likes

…and not only unrepentant but also totally dismissive of any concerns of doxing, not to mention the very real threats jmakin levelled in his “apology” on his way out of the (revolving) door.

4 Likes

It’s the only thing that binds the captains together. There is no ideological consistency between them. Despite their claims to the contrary, their behavior clearly demonstrates they don’t care about anything other than their god given right to shit stir without other people calling out their bs.

To make it clear, I’d be happy with both coming back.

No, he didn’t.

I PM’d him to not say that I was ikes after he did so. I included a reason why, which was an example of some people doing insane things on UP. He then took that PM and took it to the captain’s instead. You can further see insane stuff in the captain’s thread, where they did the completely normal thing and looked up stuff like whether or not ikes took blood pressure medication from posts on 2+2 from 7 or so years ago.

Of course not. I’m consistent. You are not. I’ll do it again in fact!

This was the covid thread btw.

Be nicer to one another obviously.

1 Like

Everybody please make note of this in case he decides to run for mod some day.

2 Likes

Stakes are high for Demonrats, not so much here.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, these are the posts from the PM that ikes is referencing here:

I had no idea PC was talking about a PM conversation at the time, although that obviously makes sense that it was. I didn’t really think about it though, because why would I. It was one tangential post in a very long thread. Yawn.

No one did this in the thread, @microbet mentioned that he examined similarities in your posting here and on 2+2 on his own, months ago, because Wookie and others were trying to deny the obvious fact that you’re ikes. He said he came up with soccer, the medications you mentioned, some other stuff. Maybe that’s weird, take it up with microbet. Is it weirder to try to confirm if you’re a widely reviled poster, or weirder for you to conceal that you’re a widely reviled poster? I didn’t need to do either, as I’m comfortable with who I am and who you are was blindingly obvious after like five posts. Why microbet felt the need to try to convince others of this obvious truth, you’d have to ask him.

And none of us ever tried to claim there was some sanctity of PM, where you can’t share PMs you receive. We’re saying, hey, hacking into other people’s PMs is bad, actually. I understand how the distinction might be lost on you but I’m comfortable the rest of my audience here will get it.

12 Likes

OK, I need a sanity check here.

I get that some people are desperate to give Caffeine a life-sentence of othering, but am I the only one who thinks that the moderator role implies some level of responsibility, trust, and confidentiality? I don’t care who you are - users should be able to pm moderators about vulnerable things without worrying that the mod will then gossip about that exact thing to a clique of people waiting to shit on you.

I like Chads a lot, and I recognize that he was unusually stressed and overwhelmed in his moderator role so I would welcome him back. But pretending like that action is A-OK is incredible to me.

Jmakin did a very bad thing. Chads did a less-bad but still bad thing. Pretending like only one of those is true is some next-level, bias-blinded whataboutism.

23 Likes

Should there be a Captain badge so we know who is currently sitting on the Council?

3 Likes

That’s not what happened.

Stop making shit up to defend notorious doxxer Jmakin.

6 Likes

Be nicer!

8 Likes

RFC: Admins should be allowed to read and publish PMs.

5 Likes

Well, are you going to give us an alternative tale from the Great Secret Thread that us unwashed masses lack the golden glasses to read and are (at least allegedly) too stupid to understand even when we could? Because Keeed seems to be backing up CN here. Or are we just supposed to take you at your word here without even so much as a cover story?

3 Likes

Please stop with this kind of language, thanks, its not a good example from a moderator to lurkers or new members.

6 Likes

So, um, grunching a bit, but…

We’re at I-rest-my-case status, right?

3 Likes

Sorry, one mistake here. Micro asked me to clarify that Wookie did not call him a liar. He just didn’t believe micro at first but now does.

eta: this was suppose to be a response to myself above re: Ikes being Ikes and this being common knowledge.

Captains Of Unstuck Politics, or COUP

13 Likes

Why Captains? Why not Majors or Colonels or Generals? Aim for the stars, people!

Eta: wel look above, I got an answer before I clicked “post!”

Yeah it’s crazy that people are attacking what jmakin did and defending what PC did. They were both a significant abuse of power and wrong.

I get enough of the hypocrisy in real life with politics. Would be cool if we could dial it back here.

1 Like