About Moderation (old original thread)

I don’t think I ever called him a troll and my issue was that he would never own up to his track record of being proven wrong repeatedly while making similar predictions. If he admitted to having been wrong in the past but then pushed the same idea again, that’d be different.

I wanted the site to not allow violent rhetoric and didn’t want to be a mod if it was allowed, and my hope was that he would then stop posting that stuff not get banned. Regardless he and I get along fine now and even met up for dinner in Vegas.

Plenty of people don’t post exactly as I wish, and I ignore it. Others cross certain lines that bother me and I push back.

man how did i lose the first like to keed. it’s like nba topshot sniping all over again. i was on the page when the post appeared and didn’t even read it i was like ‘i’ll like it first’ and still lost out

4 Likes

I didn’t even realize the likes are in chronological order.

I don’t think I’ve ever trolled the site and it does sometimes bother me when people accuse me of trolling, although I don’t lash out in response the way others do when accused of trolling.

I do occasionally post things that get hidden and I’m fine with that. I know I’m toeing the line, but it’s not like I don’t say this stuff IRL. I think people have this idea that I’m some angry dude, but I say this stuff with a smile on my face and maybe most people think I’m joking. I’m a Midwesterner at heart and I sometimes have kind of a red state-y sense of humor that revels in the suffering of my enemies, but with a blue state-y compiling of my enemies list.

Anyways, I will be in Vegas for a decent chunk of June and I am willing to meet up with anyone from this forum if our schedules work out. And I will have a car to open up opportunities for off-Strip dining. PM me.

2 Likes

wat

Your timeline is slightly off, the rule about mods acting on their own posts was unanimously passed in August 2021, and this was the only rule Keeed broke during his time as mod. It’s also what immediately opened him up to a removal RFC but I’m sure one would have been created eventually since he had multiple people waiting to pounce on anything he did.

For what it’s worth, I think Keeed was a good mod aside from acting on his own posts and was acting in good faith, even if I also disagreed with the rule he tried to institute and banned you for.

2 Likes

Right, but generally speaking if the derails are conversations about like Costco chicken enchiladas or whatever, nobody gets mad when it gets moved.

Perhaps not, nor are a lot of people good at having their views challenged and emerging without hating the other person.

As I told microbet “they” is a handful of people, not every single person on the other site - although I have no idea who’s actually on the other site.

:thinking:

A degree of respect is given, a higher degree can be earned, but all of it can be lost by a pattern of behavior that is not worthy of it.

Many would say CN, goofy, trolly, jman, even you, and even Wookie, have shown a pattern of behavior not worthy of respect. None of those that would say that are calling for you to be banned however. It’s not only your site to determine who is worthy of it.

1 Like

It’s the community’s site, and when one disrespects the community’s standards, they should expect to lose the respect of many people in the community.

As I pointed out during the c-word debate, the appropriate analogy would be a New York to London or London to New York flight halfway over the Atlantic with a mix of American and British passengers.

I assume most posters here from the UK would know better than to use the term in that mix of company, but if not, I’m pretty sure if an American sitting nearby asked them to stop using it on the flight because it was offensive, they wouldn’t respond by calling them the c-word and insisting on using it.

They want it to be “their” site in that nobody can tell them what is or is not acceptable to say or post, whereas we want it to be “our” site in that everyone is mutually respectful. We may ask them not to use the c-word and they may ask us not to use “spaz” and nobody on either side should get upset about either thing.

The original point of Team A was that bad actors were complaining about moderation instead of knocking off their bad behavior, and that was the real problem. Then when Team A fires back and stuff gets both sidesed, they get upset.

Then more and more people got pulled in on both sides who’s start date of exposure to the conflict was later and later, so they don’t know the full backstory of why they hate posters A, B, and C, they just know they’re always mean to them and thus they snap back.

This is just ridiculous. Keeed was given a fair chance, used his powers to troll people, violated a norm which was made a rule and then violated it again, and is claiming that he didn’t because ACTUALLY he didn’t dismiss the flag, he just banned me for it!

Unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be out there until the very end of June this year, and it’s probably going to be 99% business.

Feel free to start an RFC to permaban CN, goofy, trolly, jman, me and Wookie if you think you can get anywhere near 60%!

I don’t want to form coalitions of 60%+ to ban posters I don’t like. I’ve clearly stated the opposite. So why would you post that?

1 Like

An aside regarding the discussion of the discord above not having any conflict. There was a bitching about UP channel (UP-containment) that was removed suddenly, I suspect certain people in the discord wanted it deleted because it would cause arguing between otherwise placid discord members. I say this because I am certain that views presented in that channel contrasted significantly with those stated by other discord members on UP (who avoided providing consistent opinions in that channel).

Edit: Have had this clarified to me via discord, this was the reason it was removed.

Well my point is that I don’t think anywhere near that threshold would agree with your take, regardless of whether you want to actually ban anyone.

But back to my main point, it’s not like people showed up here with “banlust” as we’re being accused of. But like three or four people have spent like two years being mean, trolling, and disrespecting the community’s posting norms while refusing to change their behavior.

Like I once said, just cause you’re a member at a golf club and own a small percentage of it doesn’t give you a right to shit on the floor, or an expectation that doing so wouldn’t get you kicked out.

Wookies RFC to ban Churchill failed to get 60% and many posters not involved disputed the ‘facts’ of the case and found them to be misrepresented or at least underwhelming.

If somebody repeatedly shit on the floor of a golf club, I would expect that to have overwhelming evidence and concurrence. This is more like somebody farted in the locker room, while you were also farting freely, but you want them kicked out because you think your farts smell better.

4 Likes

Literally every word you wrote is wrong. And the c-word debacle was textbook xenophobic and exactly what I encountered in america by people with similar opinions to yours (aka the uk bros).

You also trolled keed and there’s 0% you can pass a lie detector about it, so i dont understand how you can possibly imagine your post has merit.

You think you own the community. That was always the case and not a single thing has changed, only less charade over time.

Well also some complained about the quality of the voters.

The similarity of “if you dont like america just get out” and voting rights issues to the arguments of team a is mesmerizing.

You got me! That’s why when I actually controlled the entire interim site and could have literally tried taking ownership and setting up the next step myself, I… immediately made it clear that I didn’t think it was mine and that I believed it belonged to the community.

1 Like

lolwut. Thats not what own means in this scenario my god. It’s not even what you means. I honestly wish i would stop being amazed by some of these posts.

It’s almost as if… people care more about how you currently post than your past history.

1 Like