About Moderation (old original thread)

Quite, but you’re about 2 years too late.

1 Like

I unbanned Sabo, Keeed unsilenced him.

Especially in this era of “rotating” mods, it seems a bit misguided to allow any mod to unilaterally perma-ban anyone and to allow any mod to unilaterally un-perma-ban anyone.

If put to a community vote I am quite confident that Kel’s perma-ban would be approved since he has a long history of being a POS. (I concur with Clovis about the difference between Kel and Sabo.)

2 Likes

rodney king2

1 Like

Why did you feel you could override the previous decision and vote? Why give PM access back to the guy who caused a shitstorm with their PMs?

I don’t disagree with this - or Sabo’s suggestion that mods’ authority should be limited to only the powers expressly given to them.

However, we’ve tried a few times to establish mod guideline, rules, etc. and seems the effort always dies due to lack of people caring. My sense is that people just want to be done talking about moderation issues and want to just let the mods do their thing (with the only recourse either to demod or have an RFC to reverse bad decisions).

You don’t say why, it was just stated that you did it, along with you saying:

“It’s more that Sabo’s 100% a troll and the community voted to keep him banned previously, so I’d be a double dumbass for reversing the permban”

Sure seems like the silencing was a move to stop the former captains from bugging you about it, which sure fair. It still was a unilateral mod decision overturning the community’s vote and mod decision though.

It was a short term appeasement that changed the window of the debate. I get it, but it was still a mistake. The access to PMs was always bullshit. He doesn’t need permanent access to review and or save important PMs, and his little new forum showed he’s perfectly capable of communicating with others outside of this forum.

He was allowed to continue his little shit stirring behind the scenes, got a few people to lie for him, and now we’re debating the perma when he’s already perma’d with a vote supporting that decision because a mod apparently wasn’t aware of those facts.

1 Like

there are really aren’t that many rules around here that cannot be simply followed. even a disgruntled troll netizen could pretty much continue posting without too much trouble, if they wished.

Yes, it was a unilateral mod decision overturning the community’s vote and mod decision when Wookie permabanned Sabo despite a mod following the community vote and input by ending Sabo’s ban

Would a new vote settle matters?

It won’t

2 Likes

Yes, you’re right, technically there was no rule in the constitution that said “nobody can be perma’ed without a community vote” and that’s why it was fine for Wookie to perma Sabo when the community voted to unban him

It’s almost like you’ve been disingenuous this whole time

Not perfect but a lot better than kicking people out of a village they helped to build, or making it so unpleasant for them they leave.

I’m sorry pc but that’s a simple lie.

How about if we don’t re-re-re-litigate the Sabo perma-ban (not to mention the entire Captains thread/fiasco)? Let’s put it all down to “Fog of War”.

Truth is the first casualty of war and nobody will ever agree on what occurred and why. Bringing up past misdeeds is in nobody’s interest at this time.

To coin a phrase, both sides should declare victory and move on.

1 Like

If Sabo being allowed to post again makes it more likely that Micro and JT come back then it seems like a winning trade.

4 Likes

Again, this is you being disingenuous, showing a screenshot that doesn’t reflect the poll at the time the actions were taken

1 Like

First off this is a lie.

Second seems like the end point is kind of important

No it’s not

Exactly, that screenshot is after the events concluded