About Moderation (old original thread)

Very well, I will formally withdraw my warning to churchill for that post.

2 Likes

43 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bickering about old drama

A post was merged into an existing topic: Bickering about old drama

A post was merged into an existing topic: Bickering about old drama

Yup. The vote for perma didn’t even meet the required threshold. And it only got as high as it did because the poll never closed. An honest mistake that (I think) you made.

1 Like

I reversed jman’s permbans because the community voted to temp ban accounts for 2 weeks before permanently banning them, just like the community voted to confirm sabo’s permban.

Pocketchads was so eager to overinterpret my request that he permabanned gimmick accounts that pretended to be me but where actually Fidget.

When PC reversed the perm based on the poll results at that time, the poll was way under the threshold required to perma. The poll was accidently left open for a month, and then the PC reversal was re-reversed by wookie, after being spurred on by Goofy. Even at that time, I do not believe that the threshold for perma was met.

The poll should have been locked when PC reversed his decision. Or maybe we should all have a perpetually open ban poll and if it ever reaches the threshold the ban hammer comes out?

1 Like

Actually, you’re leaving out the part where the Captains thread was outed and a shit ton of posters changed their votes based upon that, after it became apparent what you all were up to.

There should have been a new poll opened then, sponsored by somebody and all that nonsense that wookie put in place in a desperate attempt to control the forum for as long as possible.

2 Likes

I think you are the guy that started the poll and forgot to put an end date on it! Remember how fast the first poll on moderating you was deemed illegitimate when it looked like you might win? But somehow the poll on sabo, which didn’t follow the rules at the time, and didn’t meet the threshold for a perma anyway, and was accidently not closed after PC reversed the perma, was defended as sacrosanct.

I did start that thread and poll and didn’t put an end date on it, yes.

I’m thinking about removing my potato. After months of effort trying to get it to appear.

1 Like

Some people should accept that they are a minority opinion and that they are going to get piled on when they go against the majority.

Ok. And they should also then not respond to all the accusations and attacks, and sometimes even actual questions? Including shit that is totally made up?

1 Like

That’s up to them. Some people think that the way to deal with trolls is to not respond.

But you don’t need to reply to everything and you don’t need to get the last word in.

People should be free to pile on to churchill or you or me or anyone else in the same way that they should be allowed to pile on to a Trumper on this forum if one should arise of if someone posts bad takes about Elvis. The mods shouldn’t be forced to adjudicate who is right.

Posters should be allowed to be wrong so long as they color within the lines. Certainly, where those lines are placed are up for debate, but I’m in the camp of being more permissive than you would be, it seems.

Ok, sure. And the people being piled on should also be able to respond. And other people should be able to chime in if they choose.

Yeah I don’t really follow NBZ’s point there, JT often makes posts that he specifically says will go against the majority opinion so it’s not like he’s unaware that he’s posting against the grain.

My (admittedly naïve, stupid, and so far wildly unsuccessful) hope is that eventually people are able to let go of their mental spreadsheet of past perceived wrongings by other posters and come to some kind of détente where they agree to live and let live. There has to be somewhere for the discussion to take place for that pie in the sky goal to be achieved.

If this is referring to the

post that was apparently a reference to an I Think You Should Leave sketch. I don’t see any other JT posts that might be considered gratuitous shots, so this is just a best guess on my part as to what you’re referring to.

Does this apply equally to mods, or are you intending to continue handing out bans for some posters where a warning suffices for others?

This isn’t going to happen. The same perpetually aggrieved posters aren’t going to stop because you’ve asked them nicely to stop.