About Moderation (old original thread)

Weird that you’re making this post, then, identifying him as ‘notoriously repugnant’ and ‘widely-despised’ and ‘of well-documented deplorableness’. Like, I promise you I don’t like the poster I was talking about.

smarmy dumbfuck

Well that escalated quickly, not sure you’re 100% on what ‘smarmy’ means but I doubt it matters.

2 Likes

Post mod rotation passing, this is literally the next thing on my list to tackle. Just don’t want to cause too much of a mess by doing it all at once.

The entire thing of ikes outing that exchange was top-quality ‘ikeses posting their Ls’ and I will never apologise for finding it hilarious.

“Mod Rotation” is rearranging the deck chairs. Give the mods clear guidelines of what they can do. Give the community the capability of overturning a mod’s action. Make the mods accountable for their actions by taking any punishments they gave out in error.

Set up the rules so we can get away from this real and imagined idea that it’s the mods who are responsible for the drama on this site.

3 Likes

For what it is worth I’m sorry for the part I played in the drama. Emotions were high and I was being an asshole in a lot of my post.

5 Likes

Working on it.

Don’t forget the accountability.

Same back at you.

2 Likes

That’s great. As long as you mod all users consistently most people can adapt to basically any standards of moderation within what would be considered reasonable here.

6 Likes

I would prefer for the next step to be focusing on setting up guidelines for users as a form of community standards. This in turn helps define the mods job as essentially taking their turn to help uphold community standards.

If we have clear guidelines for users and rotating mods, what restrictions do you feel need to be placed on mods during their terms? Not permanently banning a poster without community approval seems to be a popular one and makes sense. But what else?

Because, it seems absurd to me when people want to spend weeks arguing about a 24 hour temp ban. Have a PM discussion with the mod who banned you to understand why they think you crossed the line, and if you still disagree let it go. It’s not that important.

1 Like

If mod actions can be adjudicated and overturned by the community and there are clear rules to be enforced I see no reason to limit their actions. If you don’t want to hear excessive lawyering over mod actions make a clear process for disagreements to be discussed and acted upon by the community and then don’t allow the horse to be beaten any longer.

Too much damage has been done to this community by constant rehashing of previous issues. Don’t allow it. The whole point of making rules is to stop the stuff you don’t want and encourage the stuff you do.

1 Like

Why do we need mods?

What actions require this though?Because if you’re saying we need this for every mod action, that is where we have a point of disagreement. No one needs to spend time arguing whether or not a 1 day ban was wrong or whether a post should be flagged and hidden or deleted. Part of the onus of not constantly rehashing pointless issues is on the users to stop bringing them up.

If you want to make a hard rule for every action a mod can or cannot, should or should not make, then we probably should get in contact with the new 22 owners about these AI mods they’re working on.

To help enforce community guidelines and standards where users refuse to abide by them.

This is why establishing what guidelines and standards we as a community care about is next on my list. The current issue is there is no singular owner to establish this and we have groups that have different ideas of what is acceptable.

Just one guys opinion but a very light profanity filter and the ignore feature seem more than adequate for our community’s needs

4 Likes

Nah, there are way too many personal attacks here that really need to be cut from this forum. Especially due to the fact that it has frequently crossed the line into attacking poster’s mental health and family members.

1 Like

We basically tried that already in Unchained and it turned into a shithole.

1 Like

chez tried his hardest.

Anything that is going to piss someone off should be brought up in front of the community. Are you not aware of what is going on right now? We are in a situation where no one trusts anyone, when there are no benefits of the doubt we’re going to need to be overly transparent.

Telling someone to shut up about the treatment they are getting without giving them a chance to air their grievance is one of the charming aspects of 22 that we should try and get rid of. The idea that the mods are above the community or outside of the community is also something we can start to change by being transparent. If someone is continually being legitimately modded and bringing those actions to the community for adjudication that will be an opportunity for community action.

It’s impossible to make hard and fast rules that cover everything, no one is suggesting that. Saying that mods can do the following things to maintain order is different than trying to enumerate the only times someone can be temp banned. Combining general rules with mods who are accountable for their actions and a community that let them know when they made a mistake should let us iterate to a good set of rules that most people have no problem following.

1 Like