About Moderation (old original thread)

it’s possible, I lurk politics threads mostly because I’m afraid to have my head bitten off and I just don’t wanna deal with it. I mostly participate in the off-topic threads (which is quickly becoming it’s own site, btw).

Micro, you know I always chime in on these things, even before I was admin. I don’t feel an obligation to do so, and in fact I am probably speaking out of turn, but I don’t care, because I care about this a lot. I can confidently say that if it were not for this place I would be in a much worse headspace during this pandemic.

I’m very much in poster mode right now.

1 Like

This was bound to happen after Trump left. Once a group is no longer united by a common enemy, schisms and fissures form. It’s just people being people.

2 Likes

This is a good point, jman’s instigated a lot of these flareups by bringing up old grudges and somehow the blame gets directed at the UK “clique” for being drawn into whatever silliness comes up. micro is the only mod that publicly included jman in the group of people that needed to ignore each other as far as I know.

3 Likes

I agree with you - but in every toxic environment I have ever been in, there was someone at the helm not doing anything about it. Right now the helm is on the community, and it’s on the community to decide when they’ve had enough. If the community loves this - I mean, I guess, fine? I’ll just mute the threads and happily not have to read any of the bickering.

But the problem is the bickering tends to spill over into other threads and that’s when I get ultra annoyed. And it inevitably will. And then people start quitting. And then other people start posting less. And then it looks like OOT does now - a barren wasteland with the bottom of the barrel posters remaining. And then I don’t have this site as a resource for information, entertainment, and socialization anymore. That would be a big loss for me and I know it would be for others. I see no other outcome possible at this current trajectory.

I Iike everyone here, with 1 or three exceptions. Since I like everyone here, I wish everyone would just f***ing get along. But, that’s not gonna be the real world, I guess, so it’s a me problem now.

I’ll stfu and see myself out

2 Likes

:+1: It was just cw, jal and jman then. And to jman and jal’s credit, both of them PMd me “no biggie” or something like that.

Jman was very cool about it, maybe because he has been a mod and understands. Maybe also because he has little kids and understands that too.

What if lurkers want more drama because they find this Reality TV show entertaining?
(lol)

Did this all start up again because the c word thread got a month old bump or was it going on endlessly in other threads i somehow missed?

Because it seemed like things were going well and there was not to much back and forth in normal threads and it all started up from that bump of a dormant thread.

7 Likes

It had simmered down, but nothing had been resolved, so another flare up seemed inevitable.

Oh, but you understate what happened, thereby diminishing it. The bump was from a poster to say he thinks the thread is a trainwreck and should be locked. At that time, the thread had been dormant for 23 days and had 496 posts. That was 4 days ago and the thread now has over 1000 posts. Can’t make this shit up.

5 Likes

I have no fucking idea what’s going on. If we let people say ■■■■■■ will that appease Jal? I’m willing to give in on that point if it means things go back to normal for a while.

Please can you stop categorising me as someone who just wants to ■■■■ his way through life?

For the umpteenth time, I’m more than happy to drop that word in non-UK threads, and this has been the case for a while.

But that doesn’t match the prevailing narrative so let’s all pretend it’s just me who uses the word, everywhere, all the time.

3 Likes

What do you want, then?

Exactly what I just said. jfc

Use of the word at public figures in UK threads only as a sign of respect for our American friends whose culture is different wrt this.

Some reciprocity wrt words Ukers also find horrible because they demonise vulnerable minorities.

This
Isn’t
Hard

1 Like

Sure and it will again. But it seems contained to one or two threads and not wrecking the whole forum endlessly.

Would not think most lurkers or even forum members, unless they are looking for it, see the drama.

1 Like

OK, fine, if we let you call politicians ■■■■■ in the UK thread will you simmer down? I’ll vote for that.

I don’t think he cares if it’s banned and he said he would not use it afaik.

None of this is really about the word it’s about people who don’t like each other.

2 Likes

It’s spilled over into the Covid thread already, and Churchill has decided he’s oppressed by me, too, because I keep correcting his claims on the state of science surrounding covid.

Entente cordiale? Sure.

Will you (pl) consider whether you (pl) are prepared to drop your (pl) use of words like spazz?

Yes, I’m relentlessly hounded by Wookie, CN and Trolly in the Covid thread for posting mostly new info on the covid crisis. But I can and do ignore it.

You’re a famous British statesman, you have to expect to be held to a far higher standard than others.

1 Like