About Andor, and lesser Star Wars things

2 Likes

Yeah living in a desert is rough. Itā€™s surprising Obi-Wan didnā€™t have cataracts.

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t have mattered. Obi-Wan was strong with the force. Seeing is optional.

Thereā€™s a reason he had Luke practice with the visor down.

1 Like

Finally caught up with season 2.

So much fan service, but seeing Tython and HK-87 assassin droids gives this Old Republic-loving fan some hope.

2 Likes

This was fun to imagine.

To me, that final moment when Rey takes the name Skywalker is the payoff to the whole thing. If that doesnā€™t work, nothing does. One way to make it work is to evoke that same desire in the audience for us all to adopt the name Skywalker. What would you do to achieve this?

If you will indulge me, what would this look like if you took a fractured narrative approach that more thoroughly deconstructs the previous movies? The David Lynch/Christopher Nolan approach, if you will.

Iā€™m imagining such an approach in service to evoking the feeling I described above, but Iā€™m interested in whatever you think is a compelling payoff.

I still think they killed off the wrong character at the end. Think how much more meaningful it would have been if the roles were swapped.

You mean if they redeemed Kylo and he survived to retake the Skywalker name?

yes. Then work to redeem himself/his name, which could easily fill a movie or limited series with Adam Driver chewing up scenery.

Agree there. I mean Iā€™ll take anything with Adam Driver. His Ted Talk was :+1::pray::fire:

I can see though why they felt Rey had to be the one to carry the torch going forward.

To make us all want to adopt the name Skywalker, the films had to make Luke seem cool and someone we want to be like. Old Man Luke was not cool and some people didnā€™t want to see that. They wanted to be like Luke, but not like this Luke. They wanted some badass who can take down armies alone with his Jedi powers.

Iā€™d try and see if there is a way to make Rey be the daughter that Luke wishes he had. She was drawn to Kylo Ren because she sensed a kindred spirit, a shared sense of loss. She also shared similarities with Luke. If Carrie Fisher had lived, there could have been a conversation noting how isolated Rey acted even among friends and how Luke had been an orphan like her and was similarly aloof as a Jedi Master despite having found family and friends. So, I guess my plan would be to find little ways to make Rey seem like Luke while remaining her own person. Iā€™m not sure how I would go about doing that, though. Iā€™d have to research the original trilogy and find ways to echo actions and words without seeming derivative.

I donā€™t think Star Wars is the right vehicle for the sort of fractured narrative approach that you are talking about. TLJ had flashback scenes to the night Luke almost killed Ben Solo. That seems like enough.

TFA was supposed to be the nostalgia kick that killed of the bad taste of the prequel trilogy. TLJ could have been the antithesis, which deconstructed and examined the assumptions and core themes of the series. And TRoS should have been the reconstruction where we could keep a lot of the same feelings that TFA was supposed to reawaken but without being weighed down by the baggage of past movies.

The question is: where does the franchise go after TRoS? Weā€™ve had an inflexible Jedi Order torn down by Palpatine, an attempt to rebuild by Luke Skywalker that ended in failure, andā€¦now what? The idea I would be building towards is a new type of Jedi influenced by Reyā€™s reading of the old books. In this model, the Jedi would function more as teachers and healers and less as space cops with laser swords.

If Daisy Ridley wants to leave the role behind, then I would set the next movie trilogyā€“if there is oneā€“after Rey is gone, with a conflict between the Skywalker branch of Jedi who want to function in that teacher/healer mode like a religious order and a more militant branch who think that Jedi should be knights in more of a military order. The shorthand I would use is to say that one group wants to be like the Jesuits, the other like the Knights Templar. Or Picard vs Kirk. At times they quarrel with each other, but sometimes they are brought together by a danger such as the return of the Sith. Even if it takes time and effort for them to get over their petty squabbles and recognize the greater threat, they are ultimately well-meaning and will get there in the end.

But thatā€™s more of the story I want to tell and may not be the direction a franchise looking to make money wants to go in.

1 Like

I donā€™t think so either, itā€™s just that you are uniquely suited to spinning a version of TRoS or an original Star Wars story as a fractured narrative. Theyā€™re among my favorites, and you imagining one is probably the closest Iā€™ll get to ā€œseeingā€ it.

Your idea for where to take the franchise is interesting. It would play extremely well to teen and adult audiences but may skew to a more complex emotional price of admission that inhibits Disneyā€™s ability to capture the youngest people in the audience.

As for me, Iā€™d devour such a series and could have seen that being a worthy and fulfilling way to conclude the pivot Rian Johnson made in The Last Jedi. Itā€™d cement him as a galactic heathen for his detractors, but since I was a fanā€¦

Have you ever read Julio Cortazarā€™s Hopscotch. Iā€™ve never read it, but Iā€™ve read about it.

My idea for where to take the franchise is me taking an idea thatā€™s been in my head and fitting it within the framework of Star Wars. I feel like I could be an idea factory and toss out a bunch of different scenarios based on what I am told are the constraints I have to work within.

I see in it a lot of avenues for social commentary on modern political issues.

1 Like

I have not. What have you read about it?

I feel the same way. I am an idea factory and work within the constraints of each clientā€™s unique project.

I will PM you with a few non-SW thoughts.

https://twitter.com/MingNa/status/1345583867797798914?s=20

2 Likes

Basically only that Hopscotch is known for its experimental narrative, including reading the chapters according to different orders.

I placed a hold on the e-book at the library. Seems Iā€™m not the only one putting it on the list.

Not real, just an exceptionally well-made fan trailer.

1 Like

Doesnā€™t matter if you donā€™t have the high ground

2 Likes

1 Like