Abolishing landlords -- it's well past time

So… will the liberals be cool with homeless folk living in those empty and useless homes for just the next 15 years? Would the liberals be cool with banning evictions for the next 15 years?

Or do I just not understand incentives {vomit meme}?

And…, 15 years ago, how many empty and useless houses had capitalism ‘created’. Is the rate of empty and useless houses that capitalism ‘creates’ increasing or decreasing. Fifteen years from now, can we WAG how many more additional empty and useless houses capitalism will have ‘created’?

I never really try to one side things or both sides them. I just post my thoughts on things. Sure, sometimes I’m doing something I’d call trolling, but mostly just trying to understand people, figure things out, express myself, convince people of something, vainly show I’m right about something, be entertained, procrastinate, etc…a lot of things, but “both sidesing” isn’t something I set out to do just for the sake of it.

I would think not.

Not sure what you mean exaclty, but seems like a very minor point - not worth derail.

WAG would just be follow the trend lines. Without looking anything up, I’d just say I would expect slightly more than 15 million vacant units in 15 years.

How you coming along on that effective rate of interest calculation?

We can come at it in different ways too. Over the last ~20 years, REIT stocks have “payed for themselves” in about seven years.

I haven’t done anything on it because I think amortization of the amount is probably the right way and didn’t think the point was worth belaboring.

If you want to look at an investment that pays for itself in 7 years, that’s about 10% I think.

So if capitalism is going to ‘create’ a sustainable supply of empty and useless houses… why the fuck do the fools keep bleating that without the violence, we’ll run out of homes?

Wrong. Are you going to insist I do the maths?

I guess the Econ 101 answer is that there’s less incentive for capitalists to build houses if their tenants can live in their units and refuse to pay rent.

Agree in the short term, disagree in the long term. It’s more like planting seeds than picking fruit.

Well, because they’re biased to what they would call the “status quo” which would be how they were brought up thinking. I think they would argue that in the longer term rental properties wouldn’t be built enough to keep up with demand and in the mean time properties would fall into disrepair. I don’t agree with them as long as people would have some security that their efforts in building and maintaining would be wasted because they have no security. I think that’s where this discussion really gets interesting. How would people behave? Why do people not take care of build things? The conservative (and partly liberal) answer is kind of that people suck. I think that’s a bad answer.

Well, the capitalists only really need as much ‘incentive’ (400 words for yellow snow) as it takes to ‘create’ occupied and useful houses. Right now the capitalists have so much unneeded ‘incentive’ (400 words for yellow snow) that they are ‘creating’ empty and useless houses too. It seems like a little paring back of the capitalist’s ‘incentives’ (400 words for yellow snow) is in order.

Or we could just kick all those useless and violent parasites to the curb. Then we don’t have to work to pay for their ‘incentives’ (400 words of yellow snow) at all.

Renters don’t need landlords, landlords need renters.

No, they are bad faith posters. They want to claim the status-que because they believe the “burden of proof” means they get to troll their victims with impunity.

It has nothing to do with the message or the messenger. Stop falling for it.

How do we do that? Some kind of national price control on rent?

OK, but I do need my apartment to be built. I guess the question is how that happens in your alternative capitalist-free system.

Since it just came up and you’re pretty new to the discussion and I don’t think you’re just going to play games…

How do you respond to: there’s 15 years worth of empty housing right now. How do you feel about waiting until we are at least closer to filling that up before we worry about whether or not more is built?

I finally get that this is actually a 2+2 parady thread with Micro cosplaying Well Named.

1 Like

Who is playing bahbahmickey in this version?

Can I be Juan Valdez?

It would be way too much work. But we could actually do this.

Start off by collecting 7 anecdotes about homeless people or squatters doing something “bad”. Make sure at least 6 of those aren’t really anything bad or are totally made up.

70% of this thread is Sabo screaming nonsense and LIBERALS!, making no sense or point, then micro calmly steps in to say over and over and over again…”what sabo means is…”

I’m trying to do what I think has a chance at turning this into an interesting conversation. I guess that’s WellNameding things up? Hmm, maybe, lovemuffining?

(@lovemuffin ?)

1 Like