Abolishing landlords -- it's well past time

That’s not ‘scoring points’ in the sense you presumably mean (and if it is the sense you mean, there’s nothing wrong with it), he’s weathered plenty of insults and accusations that he’s spouting gibberish (you go on to do it yourself in the very same post!), painfully belaboured routines about how he’s a gimmick etc.

It seems like a lot of people ITT enjoy saying that Sabo doesn’t have any answers. But it also seems like they keep running out of questions. :thinking:

Sure. How about the actual status quo has a long history of working smoothly and providing a good supply and maintenance of rental housing. And the month-long “status quo” has no demonstrated record of doing either. So I’ll let folks decide if maintaining one situation or the other can actually be honestly described as the conservative position.

yeah man, I keep asking this brick wall questions but I eventually stopped for some reason. I guess the brick wall “won” the “argument”?

1 Like

Maybe give a summary of the unanswered questions (that don’t presuppose some claim, goal or principle that Sabo hasn’t actually espoused).

1. How would the building, administration, and maintenance of rental housing happen in the system Sabo is advocating?

I don’t think he’s advocated a particular system thus far.

First I will point out that post pandemic status quo doesn’t include moratorium on evictions in most places it’s basically the same as pre pandemic status quo.

Second, how have you adressed the issue of economics? Your only answer was a sidetrack aobut Georgism that has nothing to do with the status quo.

Third, I will point out that supply of rental housing will decrease drastically if we keep the post pandemic status quo. No property owner is going to take on a new tenant without serious compensation for the risk that they might stop paying rent and cannot be evicted. Either market solutions will arise like insurance policies similar to PMI or landlords will sell off their properties to owner occupiers instead. I think we already had this discussion earlier in the thread and it is where the side tracking started because there isn’t a good answer.

Right now everything is frozen into place, but eventually the pandemic will end and renters will want to move to a new city to change jobs or upgrade their place as their family grows or financial situation improves. Without a functioning rental market these things will come with an enormous increase in transaction costs and friction, one way or another.

1 Like

no shit

So you agree the question is inapplicable and thus not unanswered, cool.

I don’t agree. It is very applicable. Sabo says “abolish landlordism,” I ask OK what do you want to replace it with? Crickets.

So, you are asking me how things work in the US at 7:30am pdt April 27, 2020? Really? SMH.

No, I’m asking how the building, maintenance and administration of rental housing would work in a post-“landlordism” America.

I didn’t make the OP.

So you don’t want to abolish “landlordism”? The fuck are we even doing here?

As I mentioned above ITT, I don’t think anyone’s against the landlord-tenant relationship in general. Example: Hotel Bauen. As I stated above, I’m sure the OP actually meant “abolish the capitalism part of landlording” instead. But I’m not the OP, and he can answer for himself.

For my part, I figure conserving our midst-of-a-pandemic status-quo is a monumental first step towards abolishing the capitalist part of landlording. While meekly letting the landlord class put their boot back upon our necks would be a monumental failure… maybe setting things back another 100 years, or to the ecological collapse that capitalism is ‘creating’, whichever comes first.

I feel however, you already know all this, and are just Semantikes™ things up like usual. If the OP started with the Dead Kennedys instead, I’m sure you’d be Semantikes™ things up right now about violent murder.

Now that we’re Unstuckers, we should really change the term to “Keeediking”, or something similiar.

Semantics? What nonsense. I’m not nitting this term or that term. I’m asking the fundamental question of what the society you’re advocating would look like. How would things work? How would things be different than they are now? Why would they be better? That’s obviously not semantics. Fuck off.

Yes.

But that doesn’t matter it seems, because…

Again, you are asking me how things work at 8:00 am pdt April 27, 2020. SMH.

They wouldn’t.

Better than what?

As I mentioned before, if some liberal wants to make a positive argument for some different system than our midst-of-a-pandemic status-quo, they most certainly can. If any liberal actually did so ITT, then the ‘arguing’ could begin.

Until that happens, however, IDK what to tell you. I’m not going to ‘argue’ against myself ITT. You, however, are welcome to do so. Whatever floats your boat.

Yes, such a serious adult conversation

Oh OK, I already made this argument.