Abolishing landlords -- it's well past time

I think you missed my point completely. The risk to the landlord is not a good or bad thing, it is just a parameter in a business decision. I thought we were operating under the assumption that everything continues as it is except landlords can no longer evict. So they still own the properties but now they have this new risk. How do you think they will respond to that? Would they just continue renting to new tenants under the same terms as before? Of course not. For their existing tenants things are fine but once a person moves and enters a new contract everything will change.

My expectation is that they would demand some other form of insurance that the tenant will leave and those who cannot provide such assurance will not be able to rent from private landlords anymore. Thus such a policy of no eviction would create more homelessness rather than reducing it in the long term unless we are also confiscating real estate or forcing property owners into contracts against their will.

People who own their property would not be affected by this.

You donā€™t have to go back centuries to English Enclosure. Just back to NAFTA.

I feel Iā€™m repeating myself, but Iā€™m not mapping out any future imagined utopia here. Far from it.

I donā€™t want the the landlord class reign of terror to resume. I donā€™t want the gratuitous reductions of families to homelessness to resume. Full stop.

In the US, about half of the homeless are in families. About a third are children.

What Iā€™m hearing is that we should all be hippy-happy for this ā€œcollateral damageā€, because otherwise Landlordism wonā€™t ā€œcreateā€ urban planning, and oh no, the sky is falling.

Well, thatā€™s a buncha crap. How about this: letā€™s stop the violence. Letā€™s stop all this needless homelessness. Right now in the US, we donā€™t have a housing shortage. I gotta figure we got at least 50 years before this mysterious lack of landlord ā€œcreatedā€ ā€œurban planningā€ causes itā€™s imaginary doom-n-gloom.

How about we stop the violence first, then figure out the trivial details of our post-violent future second?

LOL no. People will squat.[quote=ā€œbbb7979, post:577, topic:1424ā€]
People who own their property would not be affected by this.
[/quote]

LOL no. Of course they will. Pre-pandemic, the sale price of a non-luxury house is generally determined itā€™s ā€œrent valueā€, the ROI as a landlord, as opposed to itā€™s ā€œuse valueā€, keeping the rain off of your head. With the violence stopped, the ā€œrent valueā€ would decrease, and could tend to be generally determined by itā€™s ā€œuse valueā€. Net result: buying a house would be much cheaper, and with rental folks could escape from the Rental System much easier.

If your position is nothing more than ā€œwe should stop doing the thing I donā€™t like without any thoughts to the consequences or what should come afterā€ then I donā€™t see the point in further engagement. Yes, evictions are bad, but any conceivable alternative is likely worse for tenants and society, excluding the interests of landlords themselves. The idea of just permanently banning eviction with no alternative policy at all would have predictable consequences that are certainly worse than the status quo.

He the politics forum version of the beauty queen who wants ā€œworld peaceā€.

Š”Š¾Š²ŠµŃ€ŃŒŃŃ Š½Š°Š¼. ŠžŠ½ Š½Šµ Š±ŃƒŠ“ŠµŃ‚ рŠ°Š±Š¾Ń‚Š°Ń‚ŃŒ.

Could you illustrate how aggression or violence goes into voluntary exchanges?

It is truly bizarre you think this is a gotcha.

Weird how you went all quiet when it came up! Thatā€™s what you normally do when you donā€™t have an answer, I suppose youā€™re just prolonging the suspense this time?

Crazy I canā€™t describe every single person on earths financial threshold in all conceivable scenarios. You really got me good there. Hazzah! Checkmate! What a rhetorical victory for you.

Sometimes the question is just too dumb to answer.

Buddy, buddy, weā€™re talking about a far broader conception of utility than strictly financial. You said (itā€™s right up there) that nobody would have any incentive to maintain a property they were occupying; theyā€™d just move. You were certain of it! You were on to a winner! That, apparently, made perfect sense to you until I said, Jeeze, isnā€™t calling a plumber more convenient than moving house even at the best of times? You retreated to the generalisation that ā€œthere comes a pointā€ where it isnā€™t, andā€¦ not only could you not define that point, you couldnā€™t specify how you came to conclude that that point is likely to become an issue.

And that would all be fine and normal stuff for message board discourse. The objectionable part is where you hang around in the thread accusing other people of not answering questions and of not having thought out their positions, all delivered in your best impersonation of the lofty condescension you wrongly imagine connotes intelligence.

Ok itā€™s $12,985 dollars that you wouldnā€™t call a plumber but rather move. In all cases. That exact amount.

Rotfl.

You donā€™t have to ban evictions you just have to stop doing them. Landlords donā€™t evict people. Police officers do, on our dime.

I went back and read it and am now furious with you. I was 100% right and not only do I take nothing back, but I wish I had been less polite about it.

Iā€™m asking you to explain how you arrived at the conclusion that this tipping-point, at which a person would rather tool up and evict someone else than maintain their own residence, is within plausible reach for some significant number of people.

You appear to be unable to say. You donā€™t think thatā€™s a problem?

Though I also donā€™t much care.

Itā€™s almost an hour of my life Iā€™ll never get back. The anti landlord posting is so bad I find myself agreeing with inso, and you have no idea how much I resent that.

No I obviously donā€™t agree with him about section 8 tenantsā€¦ But yeah heā€™s more right itt than you guys.

This whole thread is basically a parody of leftists and somehow inso is dunking on people. This troubles me quite a bit.

2 Likes

I honestly have no idea what you are asking me or what point you think you are making.

Tell me what part you donā€™t understand and I can try to explain.