Abolishing landlords -- it's well past time

Let’s go with this so-called logic.

This source says <5% of new built housing is used as rentals.
This source says >29% of new built cars are leased.

So it seems the statement “without car rentals cars wouldn’t be built” is ~6 times more “true” than the statement “without house rentals houses wouldn’t be built”. LMFAO.

Let’s further indulge this lol-tastical fantasy so-called concept, and go with the lol-tastically stupid inference than renting anything ever has anything to do with production of anything else at all. So, if we pretend renting out a small % somehow magically has something to do with production, consider… which is more capital intensive… building houses or building cars. Hmmm…

Most peeps have one of these lying around the house somewhere…

Most peeps can afford to buy one of these…

Very few people have one of these lying around the house…

And only a few hundred people can buy one of these…

ETA: I’ve been on crews that built houses and I’ve designed, and been on crews that installed, machines that auto workers use to build cars. I’ve also rented cars and houses from time to time. Believe me when I tell you… renting has nothing to do with production.

Without rental gas cans gas stations wouldn’t be built ~ Econ101.

Again, as part of my conversion to a typical SoCal liberal here on UnStuck, I’m trying to make an effort, to try to make an effort, to be nicer. So here goes…

Folks, including us anti-capitalists, who want to remove the useless and expensive and violent middleman from housing are not advocating a movement towards 50% homelessness. They are, within the context of our current system, advocating a movement towards 100% freeholder status or equivalent. With the obvious exceptions of travel and short-term housing, which are different issues altogether.

Any success from this movement would necessarily reduce the percentage of the housing stock that is rented out. Any significant success would mean this rate of conversion from rental to freeholder would be measurably higher than the rate of population increase. That’s the whole purpose.

So yes, the number of rental units would decrease, both in gross, and as a percentage of the housing stock. That’s not a negative, that’s not a bug… that’s more than just a feature, that’s the purpose itself.

Renter, labourer and supplier look at a piece of dirt.

It cost 100k$ to pay labourer and supplier to build house. How does house get built?

10 years into renting house the roof is damaged and there are repairs to do. Who is responsible for repairs? I as a tenant don’t have money to fix the roof and there is no more landlord.

Never has Sabo been so completely stumped by 1 or 2 questions. I guess he will continue to hand in the exam completely blank.

Are you an AI programmed to ask the same questions over and over again no matter how many times they are answered?

If you are unable to ever answer them there’s a serious flaw with your entire thought process.

Your only answer is the government. Yawn.

Seriously. Your entire thought process is to have the government build concrete blocks all over the country to the tune of 1.5M apartments per year and have the government administer them? How did these government housing projects work out?

People were talking about $1000/month UBI per person. The average mortgage payment in the US is $1029 and average health care payment is $321. Take a couple and that’s $1671/month. That leaves $329/month for maintenance and insurance and Andrew Yang could have given health care and home ownership to everyone.

2 Likes

He has answered both questions. I’m not saying he’s necessarily right or there aren’t followup questions, but he’s answered both of those. You’re trolling.

Why should the goal be 100% freeholder status? Why not have all land owned by the public, where government serves as the trustee, and control of land usage is determined by leasehold tenancy (with government as the effective landlord)?

Driver, auto worker, sheet metal supplier look at an empty parking space.

It cost 20k$ to pay auto worker and to pay for the sheet metal (and other parts) to build a car. How does that car get built?

Ten years later the sunroof is damaged and there are repairs to do. Who is responsible for repairs? What happens if the driver doesn’t have money to fix the roof?

Were you really raised by wolves?

What Qs? I’ll tell what kinda Qs I’m never going to A. That’s not being stumped, however. LOL @ that !!!1!

I’m never going to answer Qs where you make up your own little fantasy world (ex: people staring at dirt), and then you ask me how these imaginary people (ex: the “supplier”) might react in your own little fantasy world ("how are houses built?).

OK, I will answer that Q:

While the homeless folk, and the laboring laborer, and the supply dude with the high supply, were all sitting around scratching their balls trying to figure out how houses are built… the unsafe coal mine underneath collapsed, and sucked them, and the empty dirt they were staring at, into the bowels of the earth forever. The End.

Happy ?

I’m a confused on how the government decides who gets what parcel/unit.

I don’t think Sabo is being as clear as he could be in communicating his thoughts to you. Honestly, I can’t point to a single post that I can say is the answer to your question, but I think the answer lies in extending credit so that renters can afford to be owners. Who extends that credit and what happens when people can’t pay are reasonable follow-up questions.

Ask the government in Singapore.

He’s asking the same questions the rest of us non-Koolaid drinkers have been asking.

Not my job to run errands for you or Muzzledog.

I’m not sure I follow. Are you saying that you are also asking the questions that Sabo has already answered?

NotBruce (I think) was actually referring to Singapore, where people almost only have long term leases and do not own property (despite it being ranked as one of the most economically free countries in the world - higher than the US). This has been discussed in this thread, so if you had been following at all you wouldn’t have to do any homework.

The bigger question is who decides how land is used in general.

How does government decide which land gets used for roads? Somehow roads still get built. Government would decide who gets what parcel/unit based on some muddled process which won’t make everyone happy.

When I suggest that the goal could be leaseholds, I am envisioning long-term leases, where land can be leased for 99 years, maybe longer, and these leases are transferable, but the government as landlord can break the lease if there is wasteful use of the land.

The actual solution, which Sabo only hints at, is that landlords will literally just disappear without a trace, after which everyone will take over the buildings in which they currently reside.

Anything else is fantasy, delusion and gaslighting.

I am looking forward to living in Gold plated Trump housing projects since this is literally the solution.

We will have Ben Carson administer the construction of hundreds of thousands of rental blocks.

The federal government (Trump) will construct, and administer all of our housing.

Sounds swell. Nothing can possibly go wrong.