A Walrus for lovers of tight seals (and music) SIGNUP

This is a walrus for walrus lovers.

A walrus for people who like to feel things.

A walrus for walruses that love music and movies!

So get your walruses back in shape.

IT’S TIME TO CROWN A NEW WALRUS!

1 Like

This Walrus is open to TEN players.

Shamelessly stolen from prior Walruses:

Send me a youtube or Spotify link to a song for each category (Seities note - I prefer youtube links because they are easier to share but I do use Spotify daily myself so its ok) . Gather them all together in one PM. I will then “rank” them according to my own arbitrary tastes and assign 10 points for first place, 9 points for second, and so on. The ranking is meant to be fun and an opportunity for some good-natured abuse of my poor taste, but the main idea is for everyone to hear some new music and discuss one another’s picks.

Here are your categories:

1. The best song (score) written for a movie
  2. The best song (soundtrack) written for a movie
  3. A song that makes you feel excited
  4. A song that makes you feel sad
  5. A song that makes you stop and say wtf, are those really the lyrics?
  6. The best (only?) good song from someone’s temporary solo career
  7. A song that sounds like dancing
  8. A song that wakes you up
  9. The last good song a pop icon ever made
  10. A song that makes you believe in love

For #1 and #2, the song does not necessarily need to have been “written” for the movie. An indelible pairing will suffice.

DEADLINES
#1-5 deadline: Feb 13 (with two reveals beginning Sunday Feb 16 and continuing two per day through Feb 22)

#6-10 deadline: Feb 20 (with reveals beginning Feb 23)

So one sequence ends as the other begins.

A few scoring notes (also shamelessly stolen):

• rankings will be quite arbitrary and based on what I think I am most likely to add to a playlist for future listening, my mood at the time, and the position of Earth relative to Jupiter. I’ll listen to each song more than once but no guarantees beyond that. I reserve the right to say your submission was shit in whatever way amuses me at the time, and you can go ahead and say I am shit and so is anything I have ever cared about. This is just for funzies.

Thanks for hosting! That’s a lot of categories.

I am new to this. Should I condense to four or so??

In. Got enough time for 10 categories?

Edit. That’s maybe 1 hour of music per category, listened to thrice each, making 3 hours just for the listening and that’s assuming some complete arse like me doesn’t submit 30 minute tracks.

Multiplied up that’s 30 hours of listening lol, then you have the write ups and posting.

I hope you’re not working atm.

2 Likes

Totally up to you. It took me about 15 hours to listen to, rank, write up, and post 5 categories for 10 people.

100 songs at 3 minutes a pop is going to be 5 hours of listening for one run through. Maybe that’s all you would need to do if you want it to be quick first-impressions type thing. Could easily spiral into 15 hours of listening and 15 hours of ranking/[posting!

That’s fair.

Well yes, let’s go as it stands. I will take ten entrants if we get ten. It will help me divert that time and attention from my neurotic political obsessions.

1 Like

In but see my edit.

1 Like

I have my own business. I am working but need something like this for when I take breaks throughout the day. Something fun and creative with a community is a terrific escape.

1 Like

Il try. I work for myself too, we have to do something all day.

What’s the deadline?

1 Like

Tuesday or Wednesday so we can start reveals over the weekend?

What would be an appropriate pace?

So just to give you a sense for my taste. Here are some examples of answers to my own categories. Apologies if you were going to submit these :P

1. The best song (score) written for a movie

And here is Dave Chen with an excellent breakdown comparing the theme from Superman (1978) with Man of Steel.

1. The best song (soundtrack) written for a movie

As an example of one of the exceptions I said I’d accept:

1. A song that makes you feel excited
  1. A song that makes you feel sad
  1. A song that makes you stop and say wtf, are those really the lyrics?
  1. The best (only?) good song from someone’s temporary solo career

Here is Emma Bunton/Baby Spice from the Spice Girls. The remix is amazing.

1. A song that sounds like dancing
  1. A song that wakes you up
  1. The last good song a pop icon ever made

Journey once popped out stunning ballad after ballad, but after Steve Perry left the group, they never made music like this again. Despite some very good songs from the Augeri and Pineda eras, nothing they’ve written has come close to this one song that at the time seemed a promise of great music still to come, but was in fact the last time we would hear from this group. Journey continued by hiring a once seemingly never-ending string of replacement singers that included no less than Jeff Scott Soto, who gave us the only live performance of the When You Love a Woman’s sister song Message of Love. And of course it’s only recently that Steve Perry came out of retirement with a solo album thirty years in the making.

1. A song that makes you believe in love
1 Like

ty for volunteering to run a Walrus!

I am in. I really don’t think I am going to do well with the first few categories but das coo.

A few suggestions -

• 10 categories is a lot. If you are happy to do that many reveals then power to you, but I would really think about cutting it in half and then running another Walrus in the coming weeks if you feel you want to. It allows you to take a break if you feel like you need one from hosting, and would allow potentially different participants.

• If you decide to stick with 10 categories then I would allow until end of next week for submissions because it’s a bit of a scavenger hunt and until Wednesday might not be enough time.

• As for reveal cadence I think the participants would take them as fast as you wanted to bust them out. For me I think anything from 1 per day to 1 or 2 per week is good.

1 Like

I feel like this might be @mjiggy’s time to shine.

Ty!

Let’s cut them in half then.

#1-5 deadline: Feb 13 (with two reveals beginning Sunday Feb 16 and continuing two per day through Feb 22)

#6-10 deadline: Feb 20 (with reveals beginning Feb 23)

So one sequence ends as the other begins.

Will update the OP :+1:

1 Like

In if you still have space

I’m insane (trying the same thing expecting a different outcome) but wtfe

There are still ins available :+1:

But sign up fast! These spots are disappearing faster than Oscar hosts

It’s not the same thing and I think you might do well in this.

1 Like