A Walrus for lovers of tight seals (and music) SIGNUP

Sweet I’m in.

OK I actually read the categories and not sure, I don’t think I can come up with an answer for a lot of these, I’ll just rail if that’s ok. Thanks for thinking of me though!

1 Like

Yeah, I’m struggling with this and don’t have time, I’ll rail off and on.

1 Like

It’s tough coming up with inspiring Walrus categories :thinking:

There are two kinds of categories, imo: open ended and scavenger hunt. You have a bit of both. Scavenger style is a lot more demanding on participants, though perhaps more rewarding at times as well. My guess is the film score and soundtrack and most difficult for people. Personally, I couldn’t name a single song from a score. I’m sure others know a bit more than that. A dancing song? Yeah I could name a dozen off the top of my head.

Thank you for the feedback. Have you hosted Walruses that were more one type than the other? I would appreciate learning from clear examples of both.

Walruses here are evolving.

In hindsight I would have changed a couple of the categories from the last walrus, namely Different Genre (sounds a better idea than it was :poop:) and Girl’s Name which seemed to have destroyed some people’s brains.

1 Like

Open-ended categories will yield better songs because there is a larger pool for people to choose from, so they aren’t just picking between the few options they can scrounge up.

Scavenger hunt style, I think, leads to more variety (?). It’s also more difficult. I think it emphasizes the competition side of things rather than the music-sharing side of things.

Open-ended examples:
A sad song, a gym song, a pop song, a song with great female vocals

Scavenger examples: song with a girl’s name in the title or chorus, song where the crowd sings along, the last good song a pop icon ever made

Somewhere in the middle, depending on the person: a song with a saxophone, a song from 2019, a cover

1 Like

If the West turns full Nazi this forum will be like a 30’s Berlin cabaret, with people singing and dancing wildly while the stormtroopers try to break it up.

3 Likes

@RiskyFlush I’m a little embarrassed to say I don’t know the difference between these two. Is a score just a musical backing that is not in the structure of a song? And the soundtrack is something that could also be considered a song?

1 Like

yeah, scores are usually classical-type music. Think the imperial march from star wars, the indiana jones theme, etc.

Soundtracks are usually an album’s worth of songs picked for the movie (or in the case of disney, written for the characters to sing) Think “I Will always Love You” from the Bodyguard (but written long before)

3 Likes

Yes this.

Like the difference in a rock song paired with a movie versus the score.

So like, if you’re having trouble thinking of a score, just think of a mega awesome scene from a movie and check out the music used with it.

Or if you think of a movie, does it have a theme? Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Jurassic Park (I sense a John Williams trend…). These were all scores written for movies.

The Crow score was just okay, but The Crow soundtrack is amazing.

Bring Me to Life by Evanescence is a great song on a soundtrack for an awful movie.

2 Likes

tyty! Submissions for 1-5 are sent.

1 Like

Ha hi, in again

2 Likes

Rivdog in da hoouusseee!

1 Like

How many people are in? I can slide in here for a guaranteed last place if more people are needed to get it to fire.

I think there is 6 at the most in so far. You should defs join (esp. if you plan to come last).

2 Likes

I currently have submissions from

@skydiver8
@Rivaldo
@seities

so plenty of room for more points and a larger Walrus crown.

Giving up my walrus virginity. In.

5 Likes

one of us one of us one of us

3 Likes

I will give this a go if there are still places

3 Likes