A Monkeypox on Both Your Houses: Chapter 1 - Surely This Will Blow Over Soon

https://virological.org/t/discussion-of-on-going-mpxv-genome-sequencing/802

Content warning: contains the term hypermutation

I’m starting to feel reasonably chill about monkeypox. In particular, it seems like cases are spreading via very close contact, and the explosive growth in cases just reflects bad luck with superspreaders. There’s still a reasonable risk that MPX becomes endemic, as it seems to be in Nigeria, which would obviously be bad. But it doesn’t seem like we’re facing a nightmare scenario of exponentially increasing cases.

No news is good news on the monkeypox front.

Yeah it seems to spread pretty slowly. I remember when the first covid cases was found in the Czech Republic, there were 3 found at once. Five days later, there were 20.

Four days after the first monkeypox case here, there haven’t been any others.

Not sure if I should risk posting a BBC link but I’m feeling brave.

Monkeypox patients should avoid any contact with their pets for 21 days, according to new advice from the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA).

So far, 106 people in the UK have been confirmed as infected with the virus.

Gerbils, hamsters and other rodents could be particularly susceptible to the disease and the concern is it could spread in the animal population.

The government said no cases have been detected in pets so far and the risk is still low.

“The worry is the virus could get into domestic animals and essentially ping-pong between them and humans,” said Prof Lawrence Young, a virologist at the University of Warwick.

“If you are not careful you might create an animal reservoir for the disease that could result in it spreading back into humans, and we’ll be in a loop of infection.”

…

Separate advice published by the European Centre for Disease Control (ECDC) this week said that rodent pets belonging to monkeypox patients should “ideally” be isolated in monitored facilities and tested for the disease before their quarantine period ends.

The animals should only be put down as a last resort in situations where isolation is not feasible, the document said.

Larger pets, such as dogs, could quarantine at home with regular checks on their health status.

1 Like

The problem of COVID was that it’s rapid spread threatened to collapse the health care system. I haven’t seen anyone warning about monkeypox being a similar threat.

Counterpoint: actually there are 6

lol @ using Blesk as a source. They’re Czechia’s version of The Sun.

Even if true, it’s still a much slower spread than covid and probably won’t amount to quite as much as it. The bouncing between animal/human is pretty terrifying though.

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1531492734728544257?s=21&t=QUVOAL25yfQn5ZKc7FJ12A

Cool. Coolcoolcool.

1 Like

Another 71 cases of monkeypox have been identified in England over the weekend bringing the UK total to 179, the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) says.

In the past three weeks there have been nearly 100 cases and 18 human deaths from a rare tick-borne disease in Iraq; a fourth case of the Ebola virus and more than 100 cases of bubonic plague have been found in the Democratic Republic of Congo; and just two years after Africa was declared free of wild polio, new cases have turned up in Malawi and Mozambique. A dangerous strain of typhus is circulating in Nepal, India and China. There are alarming outbreaks on several continents of mosquito diseases such as malaria, dengue and West Nile virus.

…

It has been a bad month for infectious disease, according to the ProMED website, the world’s largest open surveillance system for reporting outbreaks. Covid and HIV are both still globally rampant, and now animal pandemics are on the march, too. African swine fever continues to ravage the world’s pigs and several strains of lethal avian – or bird flu – are spreading, forcing the cull of hundreds of millions of poultry. Vets and ecologists have warned this month, too, of mysterious fungal diseases being found in fish and marine life in Australia and in Middle Eastern countries, well as lethal dog and other pet illnesses.

The whole article is paragraph after paragraph of doom.

I feel like we should worry more about monkeypox than the plague.

Climate catastrophe is gonna suck sure but at least we’ll get some cool fucked up mutants you know, like the X-Men!

Narrator : The mutants were all bacteria and viruses. It wasn’t cool.

5 Likes

I really don’t see much of a difference outside of Covid. We’re probably just paying more attention now… or at least that’s a big part of it

Anyone care to comment on the practicality of stocking up on N-95s again?

Thank you everyone for this thread. It is sincerely appreciated.

That just sounds like business as usual for the planet. Pre-COVID, no one paid much attention to these flare-ups and spillovers.

1 Like

I feel like you should worry about whatever will cause you to worry more.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1532180475183304704?s=21&t=HUknwXGvcf8eGXDhw8awdg

Monkeypox cases continue to grow. I can’t really tell how much of the reported case growth we’re seeing is actual growth vs better detection, but in either case, R0 < 1 seems very implausible now. I think there are two main questions:

1. Can these epidemics be contained with isolation, ring vaccination, etc.? It’s not looking great so far, and the wide geographic spread is troubling. If the disease gets loose in a bunch of countries that don’t have the resources to intensively contain it, then that’s bad on its own and also creates a risk of reintroducing the disease to countries that are able to successfully contain their cases.
  2. The critical question is how bad MPX is. The reported CFR for the disease is ~1%, but there have been zero deaths so far AFAIK. That could mean either that the reported CFR is an overestimate (mutations, better treatment in richer countries, better detection of mild cases, etc.). More worryingly, if current cases are still concentrated among young men, it could be that the overall CFR is 1% overall, but it’s much lower in younger adults. If you had 800 COVID cases among people in their 20s and 30s, you would not necessarily have any deaths, but obviously COVID is still a big deal.