A Monkeypox on Both Your Houses: Chapter 1 - Surely This Will Blow Over Soon

Imo, that comes almost implicit with the name of the disease.

https://twitter.com/bbcworld/status/1532405865642442756?s=21&t=qlY4GH1jjXjHy53RUKgqqQ

Iā€™m not worried as of now. The fact that the virus can be seen on the skin probably makes it a bit easier to treat and know if you have whereas covid can be pawned off pretty easily as the flu or allergies.

Czech Republic hasnā€™t had any new cases of monkeypox in the last week.

Maybe Im mistaken, but I thought Monkeypox has something like a 7 day incubation period before the pox actually appear where it can be contagious

I believe you are right that you can be contagious before having the skin symptoms, but I also believe that there is no evidence of completely asymptomatic/presymptomatic transmission like there is for Covid. Iā€™m @ing @CaffeineNeeded on this one though because Iā€™d like to know the answer for sure.

I donā€™t get the nonchalant attitude that says weā€™re just paying more attention to this stuff now than we used to. More frequent and more severe epidemics has always been one of the major concerns/predictions of climate change.

Climate change definitely can cause certain types of pandemics to be more likely. Not sure how it would apply to monkey pox or lassa fever. Monkey pox is probably related more to increased contact with wild animals due to habitat destruction and Lassa fever is spread by rodents iirc.

The main driver of pandemics is usually sanitation mixed with animal husbandry, although exceptions exist.

IIRC the biggest issue with climate change are mosquito and tick borne illness.

1 Like

Sure, but the science bros have been yelling about this since the 90ā€™s. Itā€™s just one of the many crises that most people havenā€™t been paying attention to.

Need a public pole for this.

Odds of another pandemic in your lifetime that is at least as severe as covid
  • 20% or less
  • 21% - 40%
  • 41% - 60%
  • 61% - 80%
  • 81% -100%

0 voters

1 Like

Wild ass guess for me no idea really

Also will depend on how you measure. Is HIV worse over 30 years versus 2 years of Covid?

Yeah, youā€™re really going to define what you mean by ā€œas severe as COVIDā€? Disruption to society? Number of deaths? What happens when it goes from pandemic to endemic? Do you count the deaths in the endemic phase.

Use whatever metric makes sense in a casual conversation rather than nitting up the language as a hedge. An exact repeat of either HIV or COVID would be pretty damn significant.

Itā€™s not nitting, I honestly donā€™t know what is worse. 36 million people or so from HIV over decades or COVID killing 6.3m over 2.5 years?

I guess by that metric, the only thing I would personally consider (which is subjective) as severe as COVID in the last century-ish, would be the 1918 flu pandemic.

So, Iā€™d go low except for the fact that there are reasons that the rate of pandemics would increase. So considering all of that, Iā€™m gonna go with a bit less than a coinflip.

Depends how long you intend to live.

It doesnā€™t matter since both were/are really bad. And since both have already happened in my lifetime and lots of people are telling me climate change will make something similar even more likely, less than 20% chance for anything equally bad seems wildly optimistic to me.

A fun fact I learned from a seminar many years ago is that a lot of major African cities are located at high elevations specifically because the climate there is less hospitable to insects and insect-borne diseases. Doesnā€™t take too much climate change for those places to suddenly be in a danger zone.

It does matter. If HIV isnā€™t as bad as COVID, then itā€™s been roughly 100 years since a pandemic was as bad.

And while global warming is an issue, medicine is advancing at a breakneck speed as well. The covid vaccine was functioning a few months after disease broke out. It was released to the public at about 1 year. That same vaccine was built on a platform that might end up be easily adapted to other diseases.

That was my thought process at least, but who knows obviously. It really does depend on how you define it.

Also, if weā€™re going to hit the singularity in 50 years or not :slight_smile: