A Call to Ban NotBruceZ for Consistently Endorsing Violence

I just took the temperature of the thread. I’m seeing all of the choices in what people are saying.

If you believe that is a prerequisite for asking a mod to step down, you are crazy. But my guess is that you are just joining in on the fun of ratcheting this higher and higher until the fate of the human race hangs in the balance.

Cool, I am able to delete my posts over 60 days old which I’ve done. You can delete the rest of my posts (I’d finish the job myself but the software won’t let me delete anymore posts for 24 hours) and then my account or use the anonymize button as you prefer.

no

This is a perfectly fair framework to start with or even end with, but you’re taking a general approach to all posts without trying to find/possibly not agreeing with a more specific approach to address the more problematic subset of posts.

For example, if a person posted “I’m advocating that so and so be killed” that seems like an open and shut case of advocating violence. Let’s say this is severe enough the first time and you give the person a one day time out. They come back a day later and post again, “I’m advocating that so and so be killed”. You decide to tell them that if they say that again they willed be banned forever and give them a three day ban. Now that person comes back in three days and says “I’m not advocating that so and so be killed, but I wouldn’t mind if somebody killed so and so”. Is that a post you let stand? Is that poster no longer advocating violence but simply condoning it, which triggers the looser response flowchart? What if they only said, “I’m not advocating that so and so be killed, but I wouldn’t mind if somebody killed so and so” the first time, no action?

I don’t propose we go insane covering every possible good faith/bad faith case, I’m just proposing that we consider prohibiting posts in which the heads of state where most of us live and travel meet grisly and untimely ends by means of intentional violence. But I don’t want the standard limited to advocacy. I don’t want to see it condoned, trolled about, or ideally even joked about. Perhaps @lawbros can help clarify this standard or at least help explain the problems a person may face if they, even on twitter, had dozens of serious but not serious, well I’m joking but not joking, but joking posts where, punchline, somebody in government gets killed.

If this is too nebulous, take any post, and if you can substring find some proposition “kill x” or “x is killed”, then the propositional attitude concerning that proposition better be something like “hey shut the fuck up about this”. In cases where we can’t substring find that, we use the judgment of a community supported mod enforcing this standard, assuming it is adopted, it may not be.

jfc this thread

1 Like