2024 US Presidential Election (Taylor's Version)

Yeah I hope you’re right. I mean that was a likely voter poll, but that’s always tricky to really figure out.

Yeah I think “Your right to medical care when pregnant will be taken away” will turn out young women more than “Bitches be crazy amirite” will turn out young men

4 Likes

Most voters of all classes do have IDs, but, like Suzzer said, the Republicans did the math. It may be marginal, but many elections are close.

In general, a long time ago they figured out that just general voter suppression favors them.

1 Like

yeah it took me a while + a few trips to the DMV to realize the difference. ID is mandatory to vote here and no one would imagine voting without one, but also free of charge and you get one when you turn 16.

Also election day is a holiday cause it will be insane to only let those who can get out of their job on time vote.

1 Like

And ID laws here would disproportionately affect young people and especially young people who don’t drive or travel.

To me, this, beyond all the other horrible shit, is the key piece of evidence to show that today’s GOP does not care about making things better for people, governing, or anything else.

Their strategy is to suppress voting and to rig things in their favor (even if legally, like say changing Nebraska’s electoral college system) to win elections, rather than actually pitching good policies and earning votes.

1 Like

Or you make early voting super easy. Though preferably both.

Australia (mandatory voting) allows early voting if you have a reason.

As far as I can tell. That reason can be “I have a reason”

Why?

3 months early, everywhere here.

If it’s too late for another debate due to early voting starting, why is he still campaigning?

2 Likes

One thing to note is the US has a weird libertarian bent on a lot of things. Getting an ID is one of them. People have to be coerced into it via getting social security, driving or drinking laws. Without those incentives which had to be added via government action, the default state of the American citizen is ID-less.

Real-ID is another of those pushes towards a national ID system - they are gating that behind domestic air travel. Can’t just do it automatically.

Until relatively lately in our country’s history it was fairly common to live completely off the grid , nobody would know you existed (besides maybe a birth certificate/census)

5 Likes

but they have an even bigger weird thing around preventing minorities from voting, they’re willing to compromise on the ID thing

2 Likes

But not college IDs. Those are too easy to fake. We could have scores of illegals voting as registered college kids because they know the college kids aren’t going to vote (even though they took the trouble to register). WE JUST DON’T KNOW.

To impersonate and vote for a college kid, someone would have to:

1. Know the college kid is registered to vote
  2. Know their address
  3. Create a convincing fake id
  4. Know the kid isn’t actually going to show up to vote, because that would blow the whole scheme
  5. Do this in enough numbers to sway an election

But yeah, better to just be safe and not allow college IDs.

Of all the nonsensical Republican arguments, their stance on voter IDs are the most surreally illogical. The most frustrating arguments I’ve ever had are with otherwise good faith non-psycho Republicans over stuff like this. It’s like trying to nail jello to a wall. They just refuse to admit to themselves that their party has figured out that it has to suppress votes to win.

https://x.com/jh_swanson/status/1838959187201528176?t=y-hKDSb_1UsaZy6R02muYQ&s=19

1 Like

https://x.com/wertwhile/status/1839016578400055805?s=46

Vibesss

10 Likes

This is because a lot of people bought harris/walz yard signs a month ago and they still haven’t been delivered. Don’t put it in the newspaper I’m mad.

5 Likes

I sent them a donation and bought a sign on Etsy. Their signs are boring anyway, I wanted something a little spicier.

15 Likes

not that i’m gonna watch it, but that debate seems like a good time!

I don’t know about you guys, but in my Florida travels, I’m seeing far fewer bumper stickers and yard signs on both sides. I think a lot of people have decided that advertising their political views just brings trouble.

2 Likes