2024 US Presidential Election (Taylor's Version)

Yeah. I’m pretty sure the biggest driver of affordable housing construction is federal low income housing tax credits.

Not much else the feds could do except give me a little piece of or long term lease on some piece of federal land to build a cabin. I won’t even get in the way of the cattle ranchers.

1 Like

The main thing the Feds could do to make housing affordable is lower interest rates. Or juice the existing tax incentives.

1 Like

Lowering interest rates drives up property values, maybe enough to cancel out the benefit.

Winning the Amish vote!

4 Likes

I never said any of this. I would just try to improve Kamalas delivery.
Trump is just his obvious usual toxic dribble of shite. I’m not looking to improve his delivery.

The housing tax credits btw are not just tax incentives like making interest deductible. They are more like grants. Non-profits get the tax credits and sell them at 90-something cents on the dollar.

Tuned into AM radio for a bit today, the rubes are not happy about JD Vance.

1 Like

Dang, almost forgot how good Obama is at taking the piss out of the Fox News types. He’s got terrific natural comedy sense.

couldn’t the feds invoke eminent domain but FOR building housing instead of highways? and isn’t HUD still in the business of running housing projects? seems like there is something they could do.

I feel that’s the wrong poker analogy. I think the better analogy is a player like Rigby running over the table with his LAG style/mashing buttons/running hot, and then that strategy inevitably blowing up in his face. It’s not like Trump is on tilt right now, he’s doing the exact same things he always has done, just hopefully this time it won’t work.

2 Likes

HUD funds housing projects either through tax credits or grants, mostly to private groups, usually at least including a non-profit sponsor. Publicly funded and built housing would have federal funding, but go through local housing agencies, usually part of county governments.

Dunno HUD can do eminent domain. Would be quite novel if they did. Probably couldn’t.

1 Like

If the HUD budget were more than about 7% of the war budget, more might be possible.

1 Like

WAT? There was no strategy whatsoever. Dude was just button clicking and somehow luckboxed it at the end.

Like everyone else here has probably done at least once, just to fuck around I’ve played a hand to the river without looking at my hole cards. Some of those times I actually won the hand! 2016 was that.

1 Like

not sure what you call war budget. DoD budget projects almost $40b on housing for service members and their families, but details are hard to extract in terms of building new ones vs running current facilities. there’s also other things that probably go in there, like schools for army kids, etc.

And even then, all he has to do is hold it in. Just control himself. But he can’t. It’s like when Michael Scott couldn’t hold in a “that’s what she said.”

3 Likes

https://x.com/Noahpinion/status/1818823983418294747?t=bZc_JN1jrdezBUAE_69tcQ&s=19

Also, fuck Cornell West and Jill Stein.

8 Likes

What exactly do they want people to be saying about Vance??

1 Like

People aren’t going to vote on Vance. Calling Vance weird is a good distraction as it creates discord in Trump’s campaign and doesn’t allow him to control the message. Having the discussion be about Trump being racist is better than it being about Vance being weird. Plus it’s not like Vance is going to stop being weird, so I’m sure we’ll get more clips to revive that story when this one dies down.

7 Likes

Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Space Force (smh), you know, the War Department. Budget is over $800B and that doesn’t include a lot of stuff.

This is good. This is good politics.

2 Likes