2024 Republican Primary Thread: Haley drops out

desantis isn’t worried about ivanka. gtfoh, he wants it now because he’s a fascist, and he is close enough he can almost taste it.

As Trump’s VP you have an inside track to the 2028 nomination.

lool no. in some ways i envy that you are oblivious to desantis. he’s only a wonk for the policy of looking out for numero uno.

Both are true but he believes his path to the base is passing a bunch of laws.

My point is the base doesn’t care about that much.

+1

100% this.

I would bet you could poll maga Floridians and you would get a lower than 25% accuracy when asked to name laws he has passed or explain their purpose or effect.

disagree-you are going to have to grovel, with the high probability of Trump turning on you anyways.

Right. Suburban republicans big issue with Trump was he was saying/tweeting the silent part loud. Which made them
Uncomfortable because even though they agreed with him about brown people and non-Christians being inferior/dangerous, they had enough awareness to know that they weren’t decent views and should not be advertised overtly. DeSantis can walk the line by not saying anything that is too blatant while delivering on all the reactionary policy, so they can feel good about supporting him.

1 Like

If I were DeSantis I wouldn’t love the risk of waiting four years and assuming I’m good to go. If we go full recession and Trump presides over a shit economy and spends the whole time mashing buttons and saying stupid shit that makes it worse, the GOP could be dead in the water for '28, even with all the riggage in the world.

1 Like

Paging @SweetSummerChild

1 Like

This. Trump won not because he made the libs mad, but because he did it in a way that allowed the deplorables to join in the fun. Deplorables loved Trump rallies where they all got to yell at the libs and where Trump recounted his stories that they knew would trigger the libs. DeSantis just can’t capture that (nor can Ted Cruz which is why he fell so flat against Trump).

This. The country club Republicans who turn up their nose at Trump LOVE DeSantis. I hear “I hope DeSantis runs” almost every session I play, and his supporters run the gamut of race and religion.

Yup, he can stump about how he’s fucking over Disney, and smirk. How he triggered the libs over COVID, and smirk.

People also know he got stuff done in Florida and turned it into a COVID denier’s freedom-filled paradise.

Yeah it’s a very narrow lane. My guess is that he tries to position himself to keep Trump from running, but if Trump runs he’ll probably stay positive and issue-oriented and say nice things about Trump and just say he wants to take it even farther. He could hit him on the vaxx, perhaps.

The laws piss off the libs, make marginalized people suffer, and enshrine extreme freedumbs. The base loves that shit. The base doesn’t care about nuanced healthcare policy, but “Don’t Say Gay,” is a winner. He keeps it simple and obvious.

1 Like

lol I was gonna make the pre-emptive SSC joke but decided against it. I mean are we going with the assumption that there’s zero chance of legit elections ever again? Or just that there’s no scenario where Trump fucks things up so badly in a second term that he makes the party radioactive for a while? (Spoiler: there are plenty.)

1 Like

It’s a huge risk though and one that solely depends on staying on Trump’s good side for 4 years. As a governor you can try to stay on Trump’s good side but back it up with your own strategy of building your base as well.

That’s the rub. What’s a bigger risk: coming for the king and missing, or the tides turning against fascism in the period where you’re waiting? IMO it’s definitely the former. I would looooooooove to see a knock-down drag-out between Trump and DeSantis because I think it harms them both and permanently wounds DeSantis. But I think DeSantis is too smart for that and will remain aligned with Trumpism without getting too close. Being Trump’s VP is way too risky.

1 Like

There is also the risk of going up against Trump and getting cucked like Jeb or Cruz.

I also think you are underestimating the effects of the riggage.

This is true in theory, but we still have to find an actual person who DeSantis couldn’t beat (assuming he doesn’t take VP, which I don’t think he should). I think he beats anyone that Trump picks as VP including Ivanka. Don Jr. might be the toughest.

i just cannot agree that’s a policy wonk. attaching his public image to an ivermectin hawking surgeon general, and taking a billion of disneyworld debt to own the kids and their woke parents isn’t a policy, and i flat out cannot call any elected repub a wonk anymore.

It’s just bad policy but it’s still policy.

The difference, as pointed out earlier, is the only important part of the policy is the title as the base doesn’t pay any attention beyond that.

He is certainly not a Jed Bartlett policy wonk. :grinning:

He is a policy wonk relative to Trump though. Donnie Dumb Dumb cannot comprehend anything beyond “Donnie Dumb Dumb is President, what President says people have to do, Donnie Dumb Dumb is big boss man!” DeSantis can actually understand the idea of writing a law or regulation and not ruling by decree.

yeah he 100% knows what the boomers in Iowa care about RIGHT THIS MINUTE and is getting that shit DONE within hours.