2024 North American Eclipse

Visiting friends in VT this weekend. We’re on our way to somewhere near Burlington on Monday. Hoping for clear skys

Had friends drive down to central Oregon from Seattle for the 2017 eclipse. They said it was 4 hours down and 13 hours back. I wouldn’t expect most geographies and interstate/highway systems to have slowdowns of that magnitude though, because PDX → SEA on I-5 is probably the only reasonable path due to mountain and water constraints.

I think the “omg, gridlock!” crap Is just shitty media twats going for their clicks again.
Get back to me on Tuesday if any of that shit happens…

The totality zone is way more populated this time around. The northeast is going to be absolute bedlam.

Not sure if this person is trying to make a man in the clouds/God reference here. Regardless, I’m seeing an Easter Island head with a large :eggplant:

Today’s cloud cover map:

Do you think Biden bringing the Solar Eclipse to the US gets him votes?

I feel like a Commodus gif is appropriate here, but I’m not going to do it.

There are a lot of people traveling to see this. I posted this in the LC thread before this one was started.

https://twitter.com/mikesimonsen/status/1775683012598079639?t=8-oEH7Puq19aK5RcNsoGyQ&s=19

I’m baffled by people doing 6+ hour drives or flying in just to see it, what is happening. State of emergencies declared for entire regions, this is madness.

1 Like

Yeah I hate to be a buzzkill but a huge part of me is just like yes, for a few minutes it’ll get really dark even though it’s daytime, I get it. It’s not even like I can look up at the actual thing. Yawn.

I suppose it’s the rarity of the experience that draws people to it though.

I think of this the same way that I think of visiting national parks: what am I gaining witnessing this in person that I won’t get from just seeing pictures/video of it?

That seems like an odd view of visiting national parks or any visual natural wonder. Do you feel that way about concerts too? Just listen to it on Spotify instead?

I’m not travelling for the eclipse, although I can certainly understand the desire to witness something that won’t happen again here in a lot of peoples’ lifetimes.

I have never felt any sort of emotion from visiting a national park. I’m an odd person and I know my brain works differently. I certainly understand that other people have different desires.

The concerts I most enjoy are where the performers deviate from their recorded work and interact with the crowd.

I just have very little FOMO. That’s a mentality that I exploit in poker, but it’s not one that motivates me.

I don’t think any of that sounds too crazy. As far as the park thing goes, I’m sure that’s largely a matter of just not feeling jazzed by nature and the outdoors in general, which goes for lots of people.

I think people frequently do things just so they can say they did them, without a ton of thought of what they’re really getting out of it (at least vs the effort put in to do it). I feel like traveling to view an eclipse is right in that ballpark.

I am an avid indoorsman.

4 Likes

Maybe they could do a Sphere experience? It may be a good middle ground for the indoorspeople.

During totality you can. It’s very cool.

This thread made me check when Australia has the next total eclipse and it goes right over Sydney in 2026. Didn’t know and already looking forward to it.

2 Likes

I was just thinking that being on a plane in the path of totality would be pretty trippy and perhaps terrifying.

A quick Google search shows that this is a thing

Delta flight 1218 will be specifically operated on an A220-300, which will offer especially premium viewing due to the aircraft’s extra-large windows. The flight will depart from Austin at 12:15 p.m. CT and land in Detroit at 4:20 p.m. ET — timed to give those on board the best chance of safely viewing the solar eclipse at its peak.*

2 Likes